Easy Fresh Tomato Basil Pasta
This fresh and easy pasta recipe is loaded with garlic, fresh tomatoes, basil, and capers. This post has been sponsored by Barilla®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Back-to-school season looks quite a bit different this year with kids learning from home. In the past, I’ve shared some packed lunch ideas for kids, but this year, we are mostly cooking lunch at home. This easy pasta with fresh tomatoes and basil is one of my kids’ favorite lunches right now and it’s perfect for using up sweet late summer tomatoes.
This easy pasta recipe is done in 10 minutes thanks to just a handful of simple ingredients we always have on hand and Barilla® Ready Pasta Rotini. This pasta is fully cooked and ready in the microwave in just 60 seconds, or can be heated in a pan for 2-4 minutes. It’s so convenient for kids to cook for themselves or to take to work. I know many kids would love it with just a little butter or olive oil, but it would also be fantastic with my favorite Vegan Pesto, Fresh Tomato Marinara, Lentil Bolognese, or even in this Greek Pasta Salad.
Tomato Basil Pasta Ingredients
I grabbed all the ingredients at my closest grocery store, Vons, where everything is easy to find. They even have an app where you can find local coupons. Right now they have a J4U offer $0.50 off 1! Click below to learn more!
- Pasta: Any shape works, but I like using Barilla® Ready Pasta Rotini.
- Tomatoes: Use whatever tomatoes you have or look the best. I often make this with a pint of halved cherry tomatoes instead of Roma.
- Garlic: Thinly sliced (or minced if you prefer) infuses the olive oil with flavor.
- Capers: Adds a wonderful salty flavor. Feel free to substitute pitted Kalamata olives if you prefer.
- Basil: For freshness and color.
How to Make this Easy Fresh Tomato Basil Pasta
Start by heating some olive oil and plenty of sliced garlic with a pinch of red pepper flakes to infuse.
Add the chopped tomatoes (or halved cherry tomatoes) and cook until softened.
Add in your cooked pasta, capers, and basil. It’s that simple.
This easy tomato basil pasta is one our whole family enjoys. Give it a try for a quick and easy 10-minute lunch or dinner soon. If you’d like to bulk this pasta recipe even more, try adding some fresh mozzarella, white beans, or wilt in some spinach at the very end.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced (or 1 pint cherry tomatoes)
- 2 cups cooked pasta, such as Barilla® Ready Pasta Rotini
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic, and sauté for one minute, taking care it doesn't burn.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for a minute, then cover and cook over low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta, capers, and basil.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.