Farmer’s Market Tofu Scramble
Find out how to make a simple tofu scramble, or load it up with farmer’s market veggies, for an awesome plate of vegan scrambled eggs.
Let’s talk breakfast. Or maybe I should say brunch. I’ve never been a big breakfast eater. You? I workout at the gym every day just after dropping my kids off at school and can’t work out with a full tummy. So my daily breakfast usually consists of coffee with some type of plant milk (or an Apple Cider Vinegar detox drink) and maybe a few nibbles of peanut butter toast and berries. On a good day I’ll have some berry or chocolate chia pudding. On an indulgent day maybe a slice of Vegan Banana Bread.
When I get home from the gym I like to refuel with a big hearty protein rich meal. That usually looks like: a Green Smoothie, Peanut Butter Smoothie or Breakfast Burrito. I have a bunch more Vegan Breakfast Ideas here, but my simple go-to, is often a tofu scramble. Tofu scramble is basically vegan scrambled eggs. It takes the same amount of time and is just as easy once you know how to make it. If you love tofu, you’ve got to try these Crispy Baked Tofu Nuggets too.
Tofu Scramble Ingredients
To make a great tofu scramble you only need four ingredients:
- Tofu. I like to use Organic Sprouted extra firm tofu. People who prefer softer scrambled eggs may prefer softer tofu.
- Nutritional yeast. This is where that umami comes from. It can be somewhat of an acquired taste, so go slow. I like Bragg’s or Trader Joe’s best. Read my full post on nutritional yeast here.
- Turmeric. This golden root gives tofu scramble an “eggy” yellow color. It’s also anti-inflammatory.
- Salt and pepper. A must for any scramble. Use black salt if you have it for a sulfuric eggy flavor. I usually just use pink salt.
- cherry tomatoes
- garlic powder (or fresh garlic)
- bell peppers
- baby spinach
How to Make Tofu Scrambled Eggs
Step 1: Saute Veggies
Saute any veggies until tender. My favorites are shown in the video: zucchini, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes.
Step 2: Add Tofu & Seasonings
Add crumbled tofu to the pan. You can also add the whole block and crumble it with a fork. Saute the tofu with nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
Step 3: Wilt in Spinach
Add a couple handfuls of fresh baby spinach once your tofu scramble is about ready. Cover the pan to help steam the spinach so it’s easier to stir in. Spinach takes just a minute or two to wilt and cooks down quite a lot.
How to Eat Tofu Scramble
Garnish with fresh herbs (chives are great) and raw veggies (like avocado) There’s now right way to do this, but tofu scramble should be eaten warm right away. Here are a few of my favorite ideas though.
- In a bowl with a side of green salad and/or breakfast potatoes.
- On toasted sourdough a la Avocado Toast.
- Stuffed in a pita pocket with greens.
- Wrapped up like a burrito.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 cups bite-sized veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, halved cherry tomatoes)
- 8 oz. super firm organic tofu, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (Bragg's or Trader Joe's recommended)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the veggies and saute until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pat the tofu with paper towels to absorb some of the water. Crumble the tofu and add to the pan. Add the turmeric and nutritional yeast, and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cover the pan for a minute to wilt. Stir to combine and serve immediately.
Other tasty additions:
- Top with chives, avocado, or radish.
- Serve on sourdough toast.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 10gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.