Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Hearty vegan breakfast burritos filled with tofu scramble, avocado, and potatoes are so satisfying any time of day.
One of my favorite high protein morning foods is the breakfast burrito. After my weekend workouts I sometimes crave something a bit more hearty and substantial than my usual protein smoothie. I’ve gotten my breakfast burritos (both at home and out) the same way for years. The simple combination of scrambled eggs, potatoes, and avocado is just perfect.
A few years ago I started making tofu scramble instead of scrambled eggs during times when our backyard chickens weren’t laying. I’ve grown to enjoy tofu scramble even more than chicken eggs and love it in a breakfast burrito. I’ve been meaning to share this vegan breakfast burrito recipe for those of you who want to cut down on eggs, or don’t eat them at all. So here it is!
The first step to these breakfast burritos is cooking up some veggies. Here I’ve pan roasted diced potatoes (potatoes and eggs are a classic combo, right?) but sometimes I switch things up and saute onions and bell peppers instead. Once those potatoes are tender and golden brown, the get scooped out of the pan and set aside. On to the tofu scramble.
Tofu scramble seems weird at first, but it really is an awesome way to eat tofu, and so easy to make. A little olive oil goes into the pan with crumbled tofu. I like Trader Joe’s sprouted organic tofu best. It’s sectioned into smaller portions, which is great for when you just want to make one breakfast burrito or two. Organic is important when buying tofu if you’re trying to avoid GMOs. Sprouted legumes are also more easily digestible. The crumbled tofu gets sprinkled with turmeric, garlic powder (optional), salt and pepper. If you’re a fan of nutritional yeast, add it in! I love it, so I add a tablespoon or two. Again, I usually get my nutritional yeast at Trader Joe’s or look for the one from Bragg.
It just takes a couple of minutes in the skillet for the tofu scramble to come together. When I’m not putting my tofu scramble in a breakfast burrito, I’m adding it on top of sourdough bread with avocado (so good), or sautéing a bunch of other veggies like onions, peppers, mushrooms, and baby spinach in with it. Oh gosh now I’m hungry for a veggie tofu scramble! Should I post that recipe too?
I’ve gotten many vegetarian breakfast burritos from authentic Mexican places and local cafes and coffee shops, and I don’t think I’ve ever had one with greens. But you know what? I love my greens, so I’m adding them! I had arugula in the fridge so I packed some in my vegan breakfast burrito, but spinach is lovely too. Avocado is a must and salsa ads great Mexican flavor.
Because warm tortillas are always best, heat yours before rolling or give a quick pan grill after.
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Breakfast burritos filled with tofu scramble, potatoes, avocado, and arugula make a delicious high protein vegan breakfast.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup 1/2-inch diced potatoes (I used 3 yellow baby potatoes)
- 5 oz. (about 3/4 cup crumbled) extra firm organic tofu, drained, patted dry, and crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 large tortilla, warmed
- 1/4 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh baby spinach or arugula
- favorite salsa
- To pan roast the potatoes, pour half of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water and cover the pan to steam the potatoes the rest of the way, about 10 minutes. Check occasionally and add more water if it has evaporated and the potatoes are not yet tender. Transfer potatoes to a plate.
- To make the tofu scramble, heat the other half of the oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the crumbled tofu, turmeric, garlic, salt, and nutritional yeast. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. To make the scramble creamy, add the milk and cook another minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the burrito, place the potatoes, tofu scramble, avocado, and greens on top of the tortilla. Roll one side of the tortilla up and over the fillings as tightly as you can. Tuck the short ends over, and continue wrapping. You can grill the outside of the burrito for a light crunch or eat it right away. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition information is approximate and determined by a third party app. For this recipe it’s especially difficult to calculate because of variables like type of tortilla and size of avocado. If you health depends on nutrition facts, please calculate using your ingredients with your favorite nutrition calculator.
Yield: 1 burrito, Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 500