Tuesday, April 19, 2016 / ... comments / Featured , healthy desserts , Pie , Spring , Summer , Vegan , vegan cheesecake
Vegan Key Lime Pie
This is the best vegan key lime and blackberry pie. No one would ever know it's full of healthy ingredients like cashews and avocado!
The weather has been warm this week and I have been craving light and refreshing foods with bright, happy springtime flavor. This (almost) raw vegan key lime pie definitely fits the bill. It's tart, sweet, creamy and cold. I like it best partially frozen, like an ice cream pie. My aunt Ginny and my friend Victoria both gave me bunches of perfect homegrown limes, so this key lime pie was meant to be. Although it's called key lime, actual key limes can be hard to come by and aren't necessary. Any limes will do. And here's an interesting tidbit: limes actually turn yellow and become juicer when they are allowed to ripen all the way, and they are so good. A lime tree is next on my garden list.
Here's what my family had to say about this pie:
8 year old, "Mmmmm. Apple pie used to be my favorite, but now THIS is my favorite pie. Can you make this more often?"
Yummy Hubby: "This is the best key lime pie ever."
sneaky Mint Chip Shake or to our Kiwi Smoothies. So I hovered over that food processor and scraped the avocado in swiftly, before suspicious eyes noticed.
Lime pie has just been begging for some juicy berries. Why is this not the norm?! Let's change that, okay? And you may have noticed I'm having a moment with edible flowers... I'm a believer in creating art whenever the mood strikes you. Side note - adult coloring books. It's a thing and it's about darn time. Friends, art is good for you. Make time for it. This key lime pie is also good for you. Like anything though, moderation.
The first time I made this pie I went back and forth about whether to blend the blackberries in or use them to decorate the top in a mandala like fashion. As I was concerned the color wouldn't be as brilliant as I would hope, I went with the later. But I just had to try blending them, so I made this vegan key lime pie again the next day, and I'm so glad I did...
All the ingredients get whirled together in a food processor or high powered blender. Easy! If you're making the swirly variation, pour 3/4 of the green mixture into the crust and then blend in the blackberries to the remaining mixture. Then get swirly whirly with a knife and voilà!
Hello you sexy lime pie!
This vegan key lime pie is best served partially frozen, kind of like an ice cream pie. I recommend keeping it in the freezer and taking a slice out 10 minutes before serving.
Equipment you may need:
Top Rated Lemon/Lime Press
Raw Organic Cashews
Vegan Key Lime Pie with Blackberry
Yummy Mummy Kitchen
A deliciously tart cashew and avocado based key lime pie with blackberries and a graham cracker crust.
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (12 graham crackers), gf if needed
- 1/2 cup melted Organic Earth Balance (or favorite butter alternative)
- 1 1/4 cups raw cashews, soaked in water overnight (or 3 hours with boiling water poured over), drained
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup honey*, coconut syrup or agave syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1 cup blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Stir together the graham cracker crumbs and melted Earth Balance. Press firmly into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Place drained cashews, avocado, coconut oil, lime zest and juice, sweetener, and milk into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth. Taste and add more sweetener to sweeten, and/or more lime juice, to reach desired tart/sweetness. I like this quite tart, so I add a few more squeezes of lime.
- If you are making the blackberry swirl, pour 3/4 of the lime filling into the crust and smooth with a spatula. Add the blackberries to the blender and puree until very smooth. Place dollops of the blackberry mixture on top of the green mixture and swirl in. If your swirls aren't going well you can just smooth the blackberry layer on top. If you are decorating with blackberries instead of swirling, pour the entire batch of lime filling into the crust and smooth. Press blackberries into the top in any design you like.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight or at least 4 hours until firm.
- To remove from springform pan, run the sides under warm water and release. Slice into wedges. Remove from freezer to thaw 10 minutes before serving.
*honey is not vegan
Prep Time: 10 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 10 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: vegan cheesecake, healthy desserts, spring, summer, lime
*Loosely adapted from Minimalist Baker's recipe