Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / ... comments / Salad , Vegan , Vegetarian
Tabouli (tabbouleh) with Quinoa and Chickpeas
Delicious, hearty, and nourishing tabbouleh salad with quinoa and chickpeas.
I'm so happy to share this recipe for a healthy, high protein, tabbouleh salad! When I come home hungry from working out or running around town, I need something to eat. And I need it fast. If there isn't anything ready to go, there's a good chance I'm heading straight for the cookies or a protein bar. One easy solution is to keep a hearty salad like this one in the refrigerator at all times. I like to prep one on Sundays. I favor filling protein rich salads with quinoa or lentils and lots of veggies. These salads last for days in the refrigerator and I can have them for lunch scooped up with pita chips, inside a tortilla wrap, or over a bed of greens.
Tabouli is usually made with bulgur wheat, but I like to swap it out for my favorite super seed - quinoa! To boost the protein I toss in another non traditional tabouli ingredient - chickpeas. And since we live in California, my salads almost alway are topped with avocado.
Tabouli with Quinoa and Chickpeas
Yummy Mummy Kitchen
A hearty vegetarian salad packed with protein and flavor.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1-2 lemons, or to taste
- 2 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly and drain. Brin quinoa and 2 cups of water to a simmer. Cover and turn heat down to low. Cook quinoa until water has been absorbed, and quinoa is translucent.
- Meanwhile, in a serving bowl, stir together the parsley, mint, green onions, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cucumbers, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Season to taste with salt.
- Allow quinoa to cool to warm or room temperature. Stir quinoa in to the salad mixture. Add as much quinoa as you like. I added about 1 1/2 cups.
- Store in the refrigerator and serve cold or room temp. I like to enjoy mine over a bed of greens and topped with avocado. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.
Tags: vegan, vegetarian, Middle Eastern, salad
Have you subscribed to Yummy Mummy Kitchen on Youtube?