Healthy Snacks for Kids
1. Pinkalicious Fruit Skewers
Fruit is nature’s candy. It’s sweet and beautiful. It is also filled with water (which many kids don’t get enough of) and vitamins. To turn fruit into a fun dessert or snack, we used a cookie cutter to make watermelon hearts. I hulled and halved strawberries to make more hearts, and added some half slices of blood oranges. Please be careful when letting kids use skewers. Use plastic ones for littles and/or cut of the pointy tips. If your kids aren’t able to safely thread fruit on skewers, please do that part for them.
2. Bear Peanut Butter and Fruit Rice Cakes
Aren’t these sweet? Use sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option. Almond butter or chocolate hazelnut spread would also be tasty. Create their little faces with whatever fruit you have on hand. We like banana slices for ears.
3. Green Monster Quesadillas
Delicious and oh so silly. Kids love making and eating these monster quesadillas. Recipe below.
What are your favorite simple healthy recipes for kids? Want even more ideas? Click the images below to see the recipes!
Green Monster Quesadillas
- 4 small organic corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- favorite cheese, sliced or grated
- 1 cup prepared or store bought guacamole
- sliced olives for eyes
- sliced bell pepper for mouth
- any other veggies to play around with!
- Grown ups should fry the quesadillas, while kids make the monster faces. To make the quesadillas, heat butter or coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place one tortilla in the pan and top with cheese. Cover with a second tortillas. Cover the pan so that cheese melts. Flip once bottom tortilla is crisp. Add more butter or oil if needed. Repeat with other quesadillas if making more.
- Remove quesadilla from frying pan and let cool slightly. Let kids slather quesadillas with guacamole and create monster faces using the veggies. Cut into wedges and enjoy!
Yield: serves 2
Prep Time: 2 mins.
Cook time: 15 mins.
Total time: 17 mins.
Tags: vegan, vegetarian, kids cooking, snacks, kids