Saturday, December 22, 2012 / 34 Comments / Christmas , Cookies , Holiday , Vegan
Vegan Sugar Cookies
Delicious vegan sugar cookies made with coconut oil. These are perfect for cut-outs!
With Santa coming in two days we decided to get to baking some cookies. Natural, vegan sugar cookies to be exact! As is usually the case, homemade is so much better when it comes to cookies. Is there anything better than a warm, homemade cookie fresh from the oven? I know Santa definitely prefers these beautiful vegan sugar cookies to store bought.
One of my favorite holiday activities is baking cookies. Making sugar cookies is such a fun thing to do with the kids. This recipe is easy for kids to mix up, roll out, and cut into shapes. When the house starts smelling like sugar cookies I know it must be Christmastime.
This year I decided to make our cookies with more wholesome ingredients. The coconut oil and milk lends a very faint coconut flavor that I'm not sure would be discernible had I not known the ingredients.
One of the best things about making vegan cookies is that you can eat all the dough you want without any salmonella concern. You can bet the three of us girls were licking the spoons. And your dairy free friends will have happy tummies.
These vegan sugar cookies turned out delicious and tasted just like the real thing. They really tasted buttery, even without any butter. We went with festive star cut-outs. If you're in a hurry, you can make tablespoon sized drop cookies with this cookie dough. It will still be delicious.
This year we are having lots of family over for dinner. In lieu of a big roast of some sort I will be making two lasagnas, some roasted Brussels sprouts, warm rolls, and some other side dishes I have not decided on yet. Thank you for weighing in on your favorite holiday dishes on my facebook page! What are you making this holiday season?
We're heading out to try a new winter ice rink and then I'll be busy wrapping presents and entertaining for the next few days. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and make some yummy cookies for Santa, or just for yourself.
Vegan Sugar Cookies
Yummy Mummy Kitchen
Delicious vegan sugar cookie recipe made with coconut oil.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soft but not melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk, soymilk, or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut, soy, or almond milk
- sprinkles or sanding sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, coconut oil, 1/4 cup coconut milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed to combine. Stir in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and cream of tartar until blended. If dough is too crumbly, add a little more milk until it comes together. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with cooking spray. Divide dough in half. Roll each dough half to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface cut out with cookie cutters. Dough may need to warm up a little before it's easy to roll out. Place shapes on the cookie sheet 2 inches apart and bake 7-8 minutes until edges just begin to turn golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make icing, place powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Spread on cooled cookies or use a piping bag to make designs. Use sprinkles or sanding sugar to decorate.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 18 mins.
Tags: cookies, vegan, holidays, christmas, hanukah, vegetarian
Adapted from Betty Crocker