Tuesday, July 19, 2016 / ... comments / dinner , Mexican , tacos , Vegan , Vegetarian
Veggie Tacos with Black Beans and Cabbage
Happy Taco Tuesday! Black beans and hearty sautéed cabbage... talk about an easy wholesome dinner on the cheap! We love tacos at our house and I love to mix up the fillings. I usually let everyone assemble their own veggie tacos so that everyone is happy. Since I cooked that big batch of slow cooker black beans a few days ago, these tacos were crazy easy, cheap, healthy, and tasty. They didn't need any cheese, in my option, making these tacos completely vegan. If you must, you could of course add some grilled shrimp or chicken, but we thought these veggie tacos were plenty hearty.
I learned to love sautéed cabbage in tacos when we were in Hawaii last month. While the tacos at Island Taco weren't as authentically Mexican as we are used to in So-Cal, they were surprisingly delicious! Almost all were stuffed with a generous pile of sautéed cabbage. Cabbage is in the cruciferous vegetable family, like broccoli, and very good for you. But when sautéed until tender with salt and pepper it turns into a hearty, warm, comfort food. Sautéed cabbage is perfect for bulking up tacos.
These veggie tacos really are so easy and a delicious way to get more cruciferous veggie into your diet. Make a batch of slow cooker black beans and you'll be ready to make these anytime.
Black Bean and Cabbage Veggie TacosYummy Mummy Kitchen
Printer Friendly Recipe
Black bean and cabbage tacos.
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 small white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 package tortillas
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- fresh salsa, for serving
- cilantro, for garnish, optional
- 1 small watermelon radish, thinly sliced, optional
- Warm the beans in a saucepan. Cut the cabbage into thin strips. Saute the cabbage in oil, in a large skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place tortillas on a cookie sheet and heat under the broiler for just a minute or two, taking care not to burn them.
- Fill warm tortillas with beans and cabbage. Top with avocado and squeeze lime over the fillings. Serve with salsa, cilantro, and radish.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.
Tags: tacos, vegetarian, vegan, black beans
*Gluten Free Option: Use GF tortillas.