Homemade Raw Chocolate Recipe (dairy free, vegan)
Easy recipe for raw, dairy-free, vegan chocolate packed with superfoods. Try this healthier chocolate made with cacao and honey or coconut syrup for Valentine’s Day!
Chocolate has always been one of my favorite things. When I gave up refined sugar and killed my sugar addiction (except for special occasions) a few years ago, I thought chocolate would be off limits. I was so wrong. Chocolate, in it’s adulterated from, is a quality superfood. Cacao is high in protein, antioxidants, and feel-good mood boosting compounds. So now I add unsweetened cacao to my smoothies, oatmeal, chia pudding, and more. Most conventional chocolates from the grocery store are so processed and filled with sugar that the benefits of cacao are diminished. So let’s make our own superfood chocolate! The first time I tried making homemade raw vegan chocolate, I poured the melted chocolate into silicon molds, but they just didn’t come out nicely. Pouring drops onto a sheet of waxed paper worked perfectly and I imagine pouring into a single layer, letting harden, and then breaking into a “bark” would work well too.
It’s really very simple. Just a few nourishing ingredients melted together. The main components are raw cacao butter, which you can find at natural foods stores or on Amazon (affiliate link) here plus some unsweetened cacao/cocoa powder and your sweetener of choice. Coconut nectar, honey, or liquid stevia. I would love to try these homemade vegan chocolates with coconut butter, which I always keep in my cabinet, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. If you try it, let me know!
Side note!!! I’ve finally gotten with the times and started making YouTube videos. Here’s the video for these superfoods chocolates. Since I’m not going to be adding all my videos here on the blog, go subscribe to my channel.
No need to give up chocolate! It’s a wonderful part of a healthy lifestyle. Hooray!
These chocolates are deep, dark, and intense. We like them best with lots of crunchy toppings like nuts, seeds, and quinoa puffs. I got my quinoa puffs here on Nuts.com.
Easy Raw Vegan Chocolate Recipe
Nourishing chocolate recipe loaded with superfoods.
- 1 cup raw cacao butter, chopped, or coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder (raw if desired)
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar or honey, or liquid stevia to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- toppings: quinoa puffs, nuts, seeds, freeze dried fruit, coconut…
- Melt cacao butter in a bowl of a double boiler.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cacao powder, coconut nectar, and extract until thickened.
- Drop spoonfuls of chocolate onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper or a silicone mat. Or fill a silicone ice cube tray. Sprinkle crunchy toppings over the melted chocolate. Place in the refrigerator or freezer until completely hardened. Store in the refrigerator to keep chocolates from melting.