Veggie Tacos with Black Beans and Cabbage
Unlike some taco places that sell tacos filled with lard, these nourishing tacos won’t leave you with a stomach ache. The key to perfect tacos is to heat up those tortillas. I like to pop them under the broiler so that the edges get browned and the tortillas return to that just-made taste. Filled with cabbage and black beans, all these tacos need now is some avocado, a squeeze of lime, and possibly some salsa. I couldn’t resist adding a few pieces of thinly sliced watermelon radish for a pop of color and crunch. The pink and green really is gorgeous, isn’t it?
These veggie tacos really are so easy and a delicious way to get more cruciferous veggie into your diet. Make a batch of slow cooker black beans and you’ll be ready to make these anytime.
Black Bean and Cabbage Veggie Tacos
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 small white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 package tortillas
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- fresh salsa, for serving
- cilantro, for garnish, optional
- 1 small watermelon radish, thinly sliced, optional
- Warm the beans in a saucepan. Cut the cabbage into thin strips. Saute the cabbage in oil, in a large skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place tortillas on a cookie sheet and heat under the broiler for just a minute or two, taking care not to burn them.
- Fill warm tortillas with beans and cabbage. Top with avocado and squeeze lime over the fillings. Serve with salsa, cilantro, and radish.
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 15 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.
Tags: tacos, vegetarian, vegan, black beans
*Gluten Free Option: Use GF tortillas.