Thursday, March 31, 2016 / ... comments / april fool's day , Breakfast , Brunch , recipes for kids
April Fool's Breakfast Pizza
Waffles that look like pizza are a fun and delicious April Fool's Day food!
My girls came up with this silly but delicious breakfast pizza a few months ago when we noticed we were eating waffles like slices of pizza. I almost always forgo syrup in favor of almond butter, some berries, and seeds because it's much more nutritious and tasty. The girls said, "hey, we should make a waffle that really looks like pizza sometime!"
I thought this recipe would be so great for an April Fool's Day breakfast or snack. Food that looks like other food is always a tame fun prank. Serve this tasty pizza waffle for breakfast tomorrow to start the day on a silly note. P.S. how is it April already?! This year is going much too fast.
This is another simple non-recipe recipe. Use your favorite recipe to make a waffle. Slather it with your favorite nut or seed butter, a thin coating of raspberry jam for the tomato sauce, a sprinkle of shredded coconut for the cheese, and sliced mint for the basil. We sliced some strawberries for the pepperoni.
These breakfast pizza waffles are cute to look at, but I think they taste even better than the typical syrup covered waffle. We will definitely be enjoying waffle "pizza" all year long. If you follow me on Instagram, you've probably seen PB&J waffles in my kids' lunch boxes. It's a fun switch and perfect for when we have left over waffles and are out of bread.
Happy April Fool's Day!
Waffle PizzaYummy Mummy Kitchen
Vegetarian tostadas for a simple weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
- 1 cooked homemade waffle
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut or almond butter
- 1-2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 strawberry, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Spread peanut butter over the top of the waffle, leaving about 1/4" "crust" around the perimeter. Cover the peanut butter with jam. Sprinkle coconut "cheese" over the jam. Top with strawberry "pepperoni" slices. Sprinkle with mint "basil" slices. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.
Tags: April Fool's Day, Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Food for kids