Waffles that look like pizza are a fun and delicious April Fool’s Day food!
My girls came up with this silly but delicious breakfast pizza a few months ago when we noticed we were eating waffles like slices of pizza. I almost always forgo syrup in favor of almond butter, some berries, and seeds because it’s much more nutritious and tasty. The girls said, “hey, we should make a waffle that really looks like pizza sometime!”
I thought this recipe would be so great for an April Fool’s Day breakfast or snack. Food that looks like other food is always a tame fun prank. Serve this tasty pizza waffle for breakfast tomorrow to start the day on a silly note. P.S. how is it April already?! This year is going much too fast.
This is another simple non-recipe recipe. Use your favorite recipe to make a waffle. Slather it with your favorite nut or seed butter, a thin coating of raspberry jam for the tomato sauce, a sprinkle of shredded coconut for the cheese, and sliced mint for the basil. We sliced some strawberries for the pepperoni.
These breakfast pizza waffles are cute to look at, but I think they taste even better than the typical syrup covered waffle. We will definitely be enjoying waffle “pizza” all year long. If you follow me on Instagram
, you’ve probably seen PB&J waffles in my kids’ lunch boxes. It’s a fun switch and perfect for when we have left over waffles and are out of bread.
Happy April Fool’s Day!
Vegetarian tostadas for a simple weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
- 1 cooked homemade waffle
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut or almond butter
- 1-2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 strawberry, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Spread peanut butter over the top of the waffle, leaving about 1/4″ “crust” around the perimeter. Cover the peanut butter with jam. Sprinkle coconut “cheese” over the jam. Top with strawberry “pepperoni” slices. Sprinkle with mint “basil” slices. Enjoy!
Yield: Makes 1
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 5 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.
Tags: April Fool’s Day, Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Food for kids