Vegan Tacos with Millet, Portobello Mushrooms, and Red Peppers
Millet is the base of these tacos. Millet is a hearty ancient seed that reminds me a lot of quinoa. It takes just about 15 minutes to cook and is great tossed into salads or cooked down into a breakfast porridge. I found millet in the bulk bins at my local natural foods store.
I love the millet in this recipe because it takes on a wonderful nutty, lime, cilantro flavor that works perfectly with any Mexican dish.
These tacos are called Millet ‘n’ Veggie Breakfast Tacos: Two Ways in Eating Clean. I like them best for dinner, however. So basically, they are good all day long, any day of the year!
I would highly recommend Eating Clean to anyone who loves beautiful fresh food that makes you feel amazing. It’s currently the #1 best seller in vegetarian books! You can grab your copy here:
Vegan Millet Tacos with Portobello Mushrooms and Red Peppers
- 1 1/2 cups cooked millet
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 gluten-free whole-grain tortillas
- 1 recipe Portobello Mushroom and Red Pepper mixture (see below)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Cumin Cashew Cream Sauce from the book (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the millet, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Make the Portobello Mushroom and Red Peppers.
- To assemble, warm the tortillas on a baking sheet in a 350°F oven or in a dry skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Place the warm tortillas on a platter or on individual plates. Divide the millet among the tortillas. Top each with either the Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard or the Portobello Mushroom and Red Pepper mixture. Top with the cabbage, avocado slices, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste. Finish with a dollop of the Cumin Cashew Cream Sauce and/or a drizzle of the Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce, if desired.
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook time: 15 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: Vegan, Vegetarian, Tacos, gluten-free, Cookbooks, Health
Portobello Mushroom and Red Pepper Mixture
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large portobello mushroom, cut into 8 slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into long strips
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch chipotle powder
- ¼ cup thinly sliced radish, for garnish
In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms in a single
layer. Cover and cook for 4 minutes, then flip and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the bell pepper, cumin, salt, black pepper, chipotle powder, and remaining oil, if needed. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through, stirring often. Garnish with the radish. Keep warm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Eating Clean by Amie Valpone.