Wednesday, October 14, 2015 / ... comments / Fall , fitness , Gluten Free , smoothies , Vegan
The Best Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Delicious healthy pumpkin smoothie recipe that tastes like a pumpkin pie milkshake, but is high protein and fiber, and refined sugar-free. Vegan and Gluten-free friendly.
Fall has arrived, but the weather here in southern/central California seems to have missed the memo. It's been 90 degrees at our house for the past few weeks. That means no cute boots and sweaters and definitely no pumpkin spice lattes for me. Instead, I've been enjoying this very fallish healthy pumpkin smoothie. It makes a good breakfast on the go or post-workout treat since it's high in protein and fiber. This smoothie tastes like a naughty pumpkin milkshake or pumpkin pie ice cream, but doesn't have all the sugar.
Last year I made and photographed a pumpkin pie smoothie, but never posted it. It just wasn't as good as I knew it should be. I was making my pumpkin smoothies with Greek yogurt, and while that added lots of protein and creaminess, it also added a tart flavor I didn't like with the pumpkin. I wanted it it taste like the pumpkin pie ice cream I love, and the yogurt was just ruining it. I now make my pumpkin smoothies with frozen bananas, oats, and vanilla protein powder for creaminess. It's so much better and closer to the flavor of pumpkin pie. I recommend Tera's Whey organic vanilla protein powder or Vega Vanilla Protein Smoothie for a vegan option.
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 1 minute
Yield: Makes 1 smoothie
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (the canned kind is fine)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup frozen banana slices
- 1 heaping tablespoon oats
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder (or 1/4 cup Greek yogurt + maple syrup to taste)
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add more milk to thin and/or more ice to thicken. Enjoy right away with a little sprinkle of extra pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin seeds if desired.
*vegan option: be sure to use a vegan protein powder
*gluten free option: be sure to use gf oats and protein powder
Disclosure: I make a small commission on Amazon sales through my blog. This does not influence the products I use or recommend, however.