Vegetarian Mexican Rice Recipe
This delicious Spanish or Mexican rice recipe is perfect for serving with tacos.
- 1 3/4 cups canned crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and cut into a few pieces
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/3 cup neutral cooking oil (I used sunflower)
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Place the tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, and garlic into a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in broth, salt, and cumin and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add rice and saute until lightly toasted, 8-10 minutes.
- Pour the hot tomato mixture over the rice and stir to combine. Cover and cook until rice is done and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork, then cover and let rest 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- If rice is too dry, feel free to cook a little longer with more vegetable broth.
adapted from theKitchn's Mexican Rice
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 799mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.