Mexican stuffed baked sweet potatoes with black beans make a tasty taco night that’s naturally vegetarian and gluten free.
Happy Taco Tuesday! This is not so much as recipe as it is a simple dinner idea. Baked sweet potatoes stuffed with taco fillings like black beans, rice, guacamole, and pretty purple cabbage are a satisfying change from the average taco night. Stuffed sweet potatoes are also very nutritious and budget friendly. I like to set out all the fillings on taco nights so that everyone can make their own meal. I find that the kids usually eat better when they have some control over their meal, and DIY nights make even less work for me, so it’s a win-win!
During this busy time of year it’s easy to pick up burritos to-go for dinner, but if you have a few extra minutes, these stuffed baked sweet potatoes will make you feel much more nourished. Our girls absolutely love baked and roasted sweet potatoes. The are sweet and tasty, but they also offer numerous health benefits.
Sweet potatoes are:
High in Vitamin-C, which helps combat cold and flu viruses
Collagen producing, which helps us have gorgeous youthful skin
High in Vitamin A
Hight in Vitamins B1 and B2
Feel free to have fun with my basic recipe for Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes and add in your favorite fillings.
Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes
Simple baked sweet potatoes stuffed with Mexican fillings.
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and warmed
- cooked rice or quinoa
- shredded cabbage or lettuce
- halved cherry tomatoes
- shredded cheese
- chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Poke sweet potatoes with a fork about 5 times. Place on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Time will depend on thickness of the potatoes.
- Allow sweet potatoes to cool enough to handle. Cut open lengthwise and separate to create an opening.
- Fill the sweet potatoes with your favorite fillings: black beans, cooked rice or quinoa, shredded cheese, shredded cabbage, halved cherry tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, cilantro.
Prep Time: 2 mins.
Cook time: 50 mins.
Total time: 52 mins.
Tags: baked, sweet potatoes, Mexican