My favorite dinners are ones that come mostly from my backyard. They inspire me to be creative, are very inexpensive, and are as fresh as can be. This was one of those – Haven’t been to the grocery store in days, what the heck am I going to make?
– days, but it turned out deliciously just by combining the few foods I have growing in the yard. I wasn’t planning to share this recipe since it was just a super simple last-minute throw together salad, but my Instagrammer
friends insisted. And perhaps it will give you some inspiration if you, like me, are always looking for more zucchini recipes during the summer. I served this simple raw summer salad with a spinach quiche made with eggs straight from the coop for a healthy vegetarian dinner.
I used my favorite julienne peeler
to make zucchini “noodles” but you could use a mandolin, or make wider strips with a regular peeler.
Read on for the simple recipe!
Raw Zucchini Salad
printer friendly recipe
- 1 large, or 2 small zucchini, julienned
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges, or 1 cup cherry tomatoes (use whatever is good!)
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or walnuts
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- good balsamic vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
Place zucchini in a serving bowl. Arrange tomatoes and avocado on top. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste and sprinkle with sea salt.