Watermelon and Feta Bites
Cubes of watermelon, feta cheese, and fresh basil are skewered together and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Watermelon feta bites are the perfect sweet and salty vegetarian summer appetizer.
Last week when the girls came over for happy hour and the kids made mud pies in the backyard we nibbled on these cool/sweet/salty bites of summer. They are super simple to throw together and look so cute. I assembled these bites a few hours in advance, (while little munchkin was sleeping and I had TWO hands for cutting watermelon) covered the dish in plastic wrap, and refrigerated until our friends arrived. When I first head about the combination of salty foods with watermelon I thought it was a bit crazy. Some people put sea salt directly on their watermelon slices. My favorite sweet-meets-salty combination with watermelon has to be this simple recipe for watermelon feta bites. Have you ever tried a watermelon salad with feta? I have one with arugula, fresh mint, and feta cheese that was just incredible. The flavors are so vibrant and alive. The creamy feta compliments sweet summer watermelon so unexpectedly well.
I can’t think of a better summer appetizer than these watermelon feta bites. They are always a crowd pleaser get snatched right up. Not only are they mouthwateringly delicious and flavorful, they’re pretty too. Don’t you just love the bright pink watermelon next to the pure white and pop of fresh green?
These little watermelon, feta, and basil appetizers made our back yard family get-together all the more festive. Juicy watermelon always feels like summer to me, and these are simple way to make it feel a little more special.
Watermelon Feta Bites
A delicious sweet meets salty appetizer perfect for summer entertaining.
- 2 tablespoons syrupy balsamic vinegar (il Fustino 25 Year Balsamic recommended)
- 1 small seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small bunch basil
- 5 oz. feta cheese, cut into 1″ x 1″ x 1/2″ squares
- Drizzle a serving dish with balsamic vinegar.
- Skewer one cube of watermelon, one basil leaf, one feta slice, and another watermelon cube onto a decorative toothpick. Repeat until all ingredients have been used. Place Watermelon Feta Bites on balsamic drizzled serving dish.