|I love food blogs, but I also love finding inspiration for our home on design blogs. You’ll see some of my favorite decorating and design blogs in the “reading list”. I thought I would share with you some of our home before and after photos and some inspiration photos.|
I truly believe the kitchen is the heart of the home. It’s the place friends gravitate to during parties, it’s the place I spend hours each day making breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for my family, it’s where I roll out cookie dough with a curly haired three year old.
What we have done:
- hardwood floors by Renga Interiors (obviously the most dramatic transformation)
- fresh coat of white paint over dingy beige cabinets
- new hardware. Pulls from Restoration Hardware, knobs from Capitol Hardware
- new stainless trash compactor and dishwasher from KitchenAid
- replace counter tops with white marble
- replace back splash with subway tiles
- new faucet. A farmhouse sink would be lovely too.
- In my fantasy land, I would knock out the wall where the fridge is so that the kitchen is only separated from the family room by an
Here is the inspiration:
|Country Living photo. This is the kind of faucet I’m thinking of.|
This beauty is from one of my favorite home blogs, Honey We’re Home. Megan’s whole house is totally my style and I love watching it evolve.
|Nora Walker’s kitchen on Brothers and Sisters|
What we did:
- fresh coat of white paint on cabinets
- cup pulls and crystal knobs from Restoration Hardware
- Calacatta Gold Marble slab. I found this beautiful piece as a remnant at Century Stone. Now just imagine the whole kitchen like this. Calacatta Gold has these amazing flecks of gold in it. I highly recommend it. Unless you obsess over keeping your counter tops in perfect condition – white marble stains easily, but if you think like a European and take the stains and imperfections as a sign of a good life, then go for it. I love the story of Meg Ryan rubbing tomatoes into her new white marble kitchen.
This powder room was clearly horrendous. The sink had already been ripped out when I took the “before” photo, but the sink was on a boxy cabinet that made the room feel tiny and dark. The brown toilet had to go. Immediately. We re-did this room on a budget, but the change was dramatic.
What we did:
- I painted the walls Sherwin Williams Agreeable Grey
- new toilet and pedestal sink from Home Depot
- goose neck faucet from Amazon. Looks just like Restoration Hardware, but a fraction of the price.
- glass ledge over toilet and new hardware from Pottery Barn on sale.
We just painted the master bedroom Silver Sage from Restoration Hardware and love it. We’re in the process of deciding on drapery fabrics, which turns out to be as easy as choosing a shade of white paint, which is not easy at all…
Such great taste! I'll have to get your opinion when I re-decorate the girls' room. I am thinking about the Paris theme from PBK.
Thanks Jenn! I just saw the Paris theme decor in the PBK catalog and it's darling. Perfect for your girls. They had some French/Parisian decor at Michael's a month ago. That might be a good place to look for little accessories. Fun!
Marina, You love the transformation of your kitchen. We had maple cabinets and last summer we painted them Winter White and I'm so in love with them…I can't wait to see more of your home. Have a wonderful day.
Marina, I truly love the direction you are taking the yummy mummy site! I'm really enjoying the addition of all the decorating posts… You are a mighty talented woman!
Thanks for stopping by my blog so I could find yours. Love your ideas for your kitchen. I'm sure it will be everything you ever dreamed of when you're finished! And yes, don't you just love Nora Walker's kitchen (among with all those other fabulous pics)?!
Marina! Amazing transformation. I, too, love the white kitchen/dark wood floors combo. Have you seen the faucets with a floor/step on-off (like in a hospital)? It's very discrete and so perfect for those times when hands are messy and you'd rather not touch the faucet. That's definitely on my list.
Dana, my husband always says he wants a kitchen faucet like the step-on hospital ones! I didn't realize they were already out there. Cool!
Very pretty! LOVE it all!
One day, not sure when, but I want to post before/after pics of our remodel. First we need to finish at least ONE room!
wow i'm sooo impressed!!! love the look you're going for! and ADORE the kitchen desk!! 🙂
I could read your blog every day and not only follow all your fabulous cooking recipes but am intrigued at how easy and well you are decorating with budget as a factor. Thanks for the tips, and you are my favorite blog!!!