Monday, August 1, 2016 / ... comments / cooking videos , Dessert , Gluten Free , healthy desserts , Summer , Vegan
Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas
Homemade frozen bananas are my new favorite dessert. I am completely smitten with these creamy, cold, simple treats. You're going to love them!
I've never been a big fan of bananas. Sure, I'll toss one in a smoothie, but that's about all. Until this week, that is. I had no idea just how amazing homemade chocolate dipped frozen bananas are, and I'm completely obsessed. Thankfully this version of chocolate covered frozen bananas is on the healthier side, because I've been enjoying them all day long. I even sprinkled some with hemp and chia seeds and called it breakfast.
The kids love the frozen banana bites from Trader Joe's, but I've always thought they were just so-so. So I was delightfully surprised to find that I absolutely love these homemade frozen bananas. Like most homemade foods, these frozen bananas are so much tastier. Freshly frozen bananas are creamy dreamy and so much like ice cream - only plant based and completely natural. Also, as with most home cooking, when you make these frozen bananas at home, you get to control the quality of ingredients. You can use your favorite chocolate, whether it's stevia sweetened Lily's Sweets chips or dairy-free allergy friendly Enjoy Life chips, or your own personal favorite.
My personal favorite is the peanut butter drizzle. It just doesn't get better than chocolate and peanut butter. I also made a few dipped completely in peanut butter thinned with coconut oil - Heaven! Sadly my camera chip was on the fritz and didn't save any of those images, so you'll have to use your imagination until the next time I make these babies. I have really loved having these beautiful and delicious frozen bananas in the freezer the past few days (maybe a little too much!) and am sad they are gone. I'll definitely be making more soon and I hope you try them too. These frozen bananas are the most luscious way to cool off, and we have been in serious need of cooling off lately.
Watch my silly girls and I make these frosty nanas! And please subscribe to my YouTube Channel so you get updates when new videos are live.
These chocolate covered frozen bananas are creamy, crunchy, cold, sweet but not too sweet, and just the most perfect summer dessert. They are simple to make and would be an incredibly fun dessert to serve at a backyard BBQ. Time to go make more!
Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas
yummy mummy kitchen
Delicious homemade chocolate covered frozen bananas.
- 4 bananas, peeled and halved crosswise
- 8 oz. favorite chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- chopped nuts (optional for topping)
- shaved coconut (optional for topping)
- peanut butter (optional for topping)
- berries, diced (optional for topping)
- seeds (optional for topping)
- Insert a popsicle stick or cake pop stick into the cut sides of bananas. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment or wax paper and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Melt chocolate in the bowl of a double boiler until smooth. Carefully transfer the melted chocolate into a drinking glass.
- Holding the stick, dip a banana into the melted chocolate to coat. Chocolate doesn't not need to go all the way to the end of the banana. While chocolate is still melty, sprinkle any toppings on top. If doing a peanut butter drizzle, dip a fork in the peanut butter and drizzle over the chocolate. Lay chocolate covered banana back onto the lined cookie sheet and continue with the other bananas. Enjoy right away or freeze for later.
*Vegan Option: Use Enjoy Life chocolate chips
*Gluten Free Option: Use Enjoy Life chocolate chips
Prep Time: 3 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 3 hrs. 7 mins.
Tags: chocolate, bananas, snacks for kids, kids cooking, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, easy recipe, food for kids, summer, dessert