Friday, January 15, 2016 / ... comments / appetizers , entertaining , snacks , Vegan , Vegetables , Vegetarian
sweet potato hummus recipe
Hummus is a staple in our house. If you follow me on Instagram, you may know my girls often request hummus cucumber wraps in their lunch boxes. For years hummus was one of those things I picked up at the grocery store. When I made if for the first time, I was astounded at just how easy, cheap, and fun it is to make at home. The main components of hummus are: chickpeas, tahini (ground sesame seed sauce), lemon juice, and olive oil. From there you can get creative and play with the flavors. The Edamame hummus in my cookbook is my all time favorite.
My kids are loving roasted sweet potatoes right now, so I tossed a couple of left over potatoes into our hummus this week. The result was a beautiful orange colored hummus packed with vitamins and minerals. This recipe makes a mild, slightly sweet hummus. If you'd like to add more kick, you can add cayenne pepper.
Making hummus in a food processor takes just a few minutes. Roasting the potatoes does slow down the process, so I recommend roasting extra sweet potatoes one night for dinner and using the left overs for this recipe the next day.
Dips are a great way to get your kids to eat more veggies. I love making a big platter of gorgeous vegetables when we have guests over. Although my kids decided they like plain hummus best, this sweet potato version was a fun change and I would definitely make it again, especially when guests are coming. Yummy Hubby and I finished this big bowl in two days.
Sweet Potato Hummus RecipeYummy Mummy Kitchen
Printer Friendly Recipe
Sweet potato hummus recipe made in a food processor. Perfect for dipping veggies and pita chips, or as a sandwich spread.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper (optional to add heat)
- To roast sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Poke with a fork about 5 or 6 times. Bake on a baking sheet until tender, about 40 minutes. Cool.
- In a food processor, puree potato flesh with chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, and paprika until very smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn up the heat with cayenne, just a pinch at a time, if desired.
- Spoon hummus into a bowl and serve with vegetables or pita chips, or use as a sandwich spread.
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Total time: 55 mins.
Tags: vegan, vegetarian, vegetables