Easy Vegetarian Lasagna Soup Recipe
Easy and delicious one pot veggie lasagna soup recipe. A dollop of ricotta on top makes this veggie soup rich and creamy. This one is easy to make vegan, vegetarian, or gluten free.
We love lasagna in our family and I've posted several of our favorites here in the past. But now that the weather has cooled down I am craving soup at least once a week. Turning those irresistible lasagna flavors into a comforting and nourishing bowl of soup may just be the best idea ever. Lasagna soup is my new favorite quick and easy soup and the easiest way to serve lasagna. Lasagna soup is so much fun because the veggie options are endless. I always add a bag of fresh spinach to my usual veggie lasagna recipe, so I did the same with this soup. In the summer zucchini would be perfect in this soup. If you are a meat lover you could add some Italian sausage or even some meatballs. I prefer mushrooms to make it hearty.
Using a jar of sauce makes this lasagna soup quick and easy because all the seasonings are already packed in one place. You don't have to worry about flavoring this soup perfectly - that's already done for you with the sauce. The key is that it needs to be a top quality sauce. Check the ingredients. Sugar should not be near the front of the ingredients list. We just want simple ingredients like tomatoes and fresh basil slow cooked to perfection. Our favorite is from Ilvento's which tastes like it was just homemade by your Italian grandma. You can buy it at a few specialty shops in Santa Barbara like Goodland Kitchen, or on Amazon.
The veggie soup is great on its own, but a dollop of ricotta is what really transforms it into lasagna soup. The ricotta makes this soup creamy, rich and satisfying. I just discovered artisan ricotta made from almonds. Dairy-free friends rejoice! I was skeptical, but this tastes just like the real thing, only more flavorful. You can of course use regular ricotta on top if you prefer.
Just like when I make minestrone soup, I add a bag of baby spinach. It looks like way too much at first, but quickly wilts down to the perfect amount. As always, I go for a variety of colors. This easy one pot dinner I would be happy to enjoy weekly. Isn't it just the best when you only have one cooking dish to wash after dinner? When I make traditional baked lasagna I have at least three cooking dishes that need washing at the end.
I made a quick little video so you can see all the steps in action.
Easy Lasagna SoupYummy Mummy Kitchen
Printer Friendly Recipe
Easy and comforting veggie soup that tastes just like lasagna.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (15 oz.) jar good quality marinara (I used Ilvento's brand)
- 32 oz. low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups bow tie pasta (gf if needed)
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- 1 small container ricotta cheese (I love Kite Hill dairy free almond ricotta)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn or thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened. Add garlic and bell pepper and continue to saute until pepper begins to soften, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are cooked.
- Stir in marinara and broth and bring to a simmer. Add pasta and simmer until al dente. Turn off heat and stir in spinach until it has wilted.
- Serve with a dollop of ricotta and a sprinkle of mozzarella and fresh basil.
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: vegan, vegetarian, vegetables, soup, dinner
*Vegan Option: Use Kite Hill almond ricotta and dairy free mozzarella
*Gluten Free Option: Use gf pasta