Wednesday, December 30, 2015 / ... comments / Fall , lentils , Salad , Vegan , Vegetarian , Winter
Winter Lentil Salad with Carrots and Pomegranate
Recipe for a nourishing winter lentil salad that's vegetarian or vegan and gluten free.
It's almost 2016!!! All over the world people celebrate the end of another year and the start of a new one with certain foods. Here in the US black eyed peas and of course Champagne are popular on December 31st. But in Italy, lentils are often the dish of choice. I knew I loved Italy! Lentils are one of my very favorite plant based proteins, so you will almost always find some lentil soup or lentil salad in my fridge. French green lentils work best in salads as they hold their shape well. Italians believe the coin shaped legume brings prosperity in the new year. They serve lentils with sausage on New Year's Eve, but I whipped up a winter lentil salad for lunch today instead.
Sometimes I eat my lentil salads straight from the bowl (like when I'm ravenous after a workout!) and sometimes I lighten them up by eating over greens. This recipe is a great end of year detox dish loaded with nourishing ingredients you can feel great about. I added some ground turmeric to the dressing for an extra nutrition boost.
Winter Lentil Salad
Yummy Mummy Kitchen
Nourishing winter lentil salad.
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Simmer lentils in a pot of water until tender, but not mushy, about 30-40 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, orange juice and turmeric.
- In your serving bowl, toss together the cooked lentils, dressing, parsley, carrots, and pomegranate.
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Total time: 45 mins.
Tags: lentil salad, lentils, healthy, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, winter, fall