Monday, July 21, 2014 / ... comments / appetizers , cocktails , entertaining , Italian , Summer
Easy Bellini and Caprese Bruschetti Bites Recipes
Simple peach bellini recipe with a virgin option and Caprese Bruschetta Bites!
The Bellini is a classic Venetian drink made famous by Harry's Bar. I didn't get a chance to visit the iconic restaurant while we were in Venice, but I did get to taste a delicious Bellini at another restaurant, Ristorante San Stefano. It was perfectly fizzy, cold, slightly sweet, and refreshing. The good news is that bellinis are very easy to make at home, and can be made virgin by replacing Prosecco with sparkling water. The virgin recipe creates a fresh and healthy soda.
Ripe peaches are pureed with a little lemon juice and honey or sugar. That's it! The puree can be made in advance and then spooned into glasses with Prosecco when you're ready to make your cocktails.
Last week I hosted a mommy happy hour and served Bellinis and Caprese bruschetta. Caprese Bruschetta is the perfect summer snack. The tomatoes in our garden are suddenly ripe and juicy, and this is one of my favorite ways to use them up.
First grab some traditional Caprese ingredients: tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. Instead of serving it as a salad, cut the slices into 1-inch pieces and stack them on top of some grilled bread (bruschetta).
Invite your friends over and enjoy the summer with these simple Italian recipes! Cheers!
Caprese Bruschetta Bites Recipe
printer friendly recipe
Total Time: about 15 mintues
Yield: about 20 bites depending on size of tomatoes
- 1/2 baguette, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 yellow heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1 red heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced (the kind packed in water)
- fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- Aged balsamic vinegar or syrup (I recommend il fustino aged balsamic)
1. Using a serrated knife, cut baguette crosswise into 1/2" slices. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Toast or grill bread.
2. Cut toasted bread, tomatoes, and mozzarella into 1-inch pieces. Arrange Caprese Bruschetta Bites by placing a piece of mozzarella on top of the bread pieces, then top with a piece of tomato and basil. Skewer with a toothpick and drizzle with balsamic.
*Caprese Bruschetta Bites can be made up to an hour in advance and refrigerated.
Easy Peach Bellini Recipe - Virgin and Classic Options
printer friendly recipe
Total Time: 10 Minutes
Yield: 6-8 Drinks
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sugar)
- 1 bottle chilled prosecco sparkling wine (or sparkling water for a virgin bellini)
- 1 ripe peach, pitted and sliced for garnish (optional)
1. Place diced peaches, lemon juice, and honey in a food processor. Blend until smooth and pureed. Pour puree through a fine mesh sieve into a small bowl. You may have to press it through with the back of a spoon.
2. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the peach puree into the bottoms of wine or Champagne glasses. Top with Prosecco and gently stir to combine. Garnish with fresh peach slices.
adapted from Ina Garten's Bellini recipe