Monday, April 14, 2014 / ... comments / Cinco de Mayo Recipes , Gluten Free , Mexican , quinoa , Vegan , Vegetarian
Quinoa Taco Bowls + Quick Guacamole Recipe
Healthy vegan taco/burrito bowls are filled with quinoa, spiced beans, veggies, and guacamole for a simple high protein meal. Serve with tortillas, chips, or just eat with a fork right out of the bowl. Taco tuesday has never been healthier!
Whoever came up with "Taco Tuesday" deserves an award. I mean, who doesn't love tacos? They're easy, inexpensive, and delicious. The thing is, the take-out version isn't very healthy. I have a hard time finding veggie tacos out and the shells and beans are often greasy. Last week we enjoyed a taco tuesday makeover.
I hadn't planned dinner that night and we didn't have much in the fridge. We do always have beans and quinoa, so Quinoa Tacos Bowls were born. A quick stop at our favorite organic produce stand was all we needed. A tractor in the driveway is always a good sign. The girls and I made tortillas from scratch that afternoon, which was fun activity for them. The tortillas were anything but round, but the girls had fun squishing and rolling the dough and they were tasty!
When we have friends over I make guacamole with lots of goodies in it - garlic, onions, tomatoes, cilantro... sometimes even mango or pineapple. But when I'm making guac for school lunches or a quick dinner, I make it with only 3 ingredients! 2 ripe avocados, 1 lime, and garlic salt. We love this super quick guacamole recipe in our family.
I ate my taco bowl just like this - gluten free, vegan, and delicious! The girls filled tortillas with theirs. I felt amazing after this dinner, not at all like when I overindulge at a Mexican restaurant. And I had peace of mind knowing dinner was GMO free and pesticide free.
This simple recipe hardly needs an actual recipe. This is more of a dinner idea, but this will get you started. I would love to add some roasted veggies to this next time. Or fresh corn in the summer!
Quinoa Taco Bowl Recipe
yield: serves 4
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (about 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- taco seasoning to taste
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- quick guacamole *see recipe below
- store bought salsa (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- corn chips (optional)
- tortillas, warmed (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the beans and heat to warm. Season to taste with taco seasoning.
- Place quinoa, seasoned beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, guacamole, salsa, cheese, and chips or tortillas in dishes and set on the table. Allow everyone to make their own taco bowls. If your bowl seems too dry, add a little salsa, lime juice, or your favorite salad dressing.
Quick Guacamole Recipe
yield: serves 4
- 2 large ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- garlic salt to taste (I use a grinder from Trader Joe's)
- Mash avocados with lime juice in a small bowl. Stir in garlic salt to taste.