Chocolate Almond Milk Recipe
This wholesome homemade chocolate almond milk is easy to make and requires just a few simple ingredients. It’s free of refined sweeteners, and is vegan, paleo, and whole-30 approved.
Making almond milk at home couldn’t be easier. Sure, you can buy almond milk at most any grocery store these days, but they are high in sugar and often contain thickening gums and other fillers. One of my family’s favorite healthier treats is the chocolate almond juice and freezes from Pressed Juicery. I have always noted that the ingredients are so pure and simple, and the taste better than grocery store chocolate milks. High quality treats like these come at a higher price, of course. So I decided to start making my own chocolate almond juice, or milk, whatever you want to call it. I’m so excited for Yummy Hubby to get home for a glass of this homemade chocolate almond milk after work. It’s one of his favorite things.
Almond milk is basically just two ingredients: almonds and water. The almond pulp gets drained through a cheesecloth or fine sieve, and can be added to cookies or other baked goods if you like. I soak the almonds so that they can soften up overnight, and in the morning it’s just five minutes to fresh, creamy, chocolatey almond milk. This recipe is very simple, but you can add your own flair if you like. A dash of cinnamon to spice it up, a splash of maple syrup for extra sweetness, or even a dash of vanilla would all be tasty.
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 cups filtered water, plus more for soaking
- 1 large pitted date
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao
- stevia or maple syrup to taste (optional)
- Place almonds in a bowl or jar and cover with water. Cover and soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse almonds. Transfer to a blender and add two cups of water, the date, and the cacao. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into a large piece of cheesecloth set over a bowl to separate the liquid from the pulp. Sweeten to taste with stevia or syrup, if desired.
- Transfer to a storage jar and keep in the refrigerator.
*Nutrition information is an approximate number based on a 1-cup serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 11g