Erewhon Kale and White Bean Salad
Try this recipe inspired by the popular Erewhon Kale and White bean salad the next time you’re craving a kale salad. Loaded with chopped kale, white beans, seeds, avocado, and a zesty lemon Dijon dressing, this kale salad is nutritious and satisfying.
One of my favorite stops from Santa Barbara to LA is Erewhon. This fancy grocery store is famous for its smoothies like the Hailey Bieber Strawberry Glow Smoothie. Another popular item is the Erewhon Kale and White Bean Salad.
This kale and white bean salad is vegan, gluten-free, high-fiber, and includes healthy fats and plant-based protein. Made with simple ingredients, this kale salad is easy (and much less expensive) to make at home.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE EREWHON KALE SALAD?
The main components of this salad are a zesty lemon Dijon dressing, curly kale, white beans, avocado, and seeds. While you have these seeds on hand, try this Adventure Bread recipe.
Here is the list of ingredients as listed by Erewhon, and what we used for our recipe.
- Organic white beans
- organic kale
- organic avocado
- organic pumpkin seeds
- organic hemp seeds
- organic sunflower seeds
- organic lemon juice
- organic olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- maple syrup
- sea salt
How to Make Kale and White Bean Salad
There are just a few simple steps to making a delicious kale white bean salad.
Step 1: Preparing the Kale Start by taking either a bag of shredded curly kale or a bunch of kale with the ribs removed and chopped. Wash the kale thoroughly, spin it dry, and set it aside in a large mixing bowl. Kale salads are best with bite-sized pieces of kale.
Step 2: Crafting the Dressing In a separate bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, maple syrup, sea salt, and pepper. Whisk these ingredients together until you have a well-emulsified dressing. The combination of citrusy notes, the richness of olive oil, and the slight sweetness of maple syrup creates a dressing that perfectly complements the earthy flavors of the kale.
Step 3: Massaging the Kale Pour the dressing over the kale. Massage the dressing into the kale leaves gently. This step not only infuses the kale with the delicious dressing but also helps to tenderize the leaves, making them more palatable.
Step 4: Adding the Goodness Once the kale is thoroughly coated, add the organic white beans, creamy avocado chunks (add these last to prevent them from getting smashed), organic pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, and sunflower seeds.
Step 5: Toss and Serve Gently toss all the ingredients together until everything is well combined. The creamy avocado, crunchy seeds, and hearty white beans create a harmonious blend that’s not only visually appealing but also a taste sensation. Serve it as a refreshing side or a satisfying main dish.
FAQ and Tips for Making Erewhon-Inspired White Bean Kale Salad
Can I use other types of beans in this salad?
Certainly! While the Erewhon original features white beans, feel free to experiment with your favorite legumes. Chickpeas or cannellini beans can be excellent alternatives, adding a unique twist to the salad. You can also play with the amount of beans you use.
Can I make the dressing in advance?
Absolutely. Preparing the dressing in advance can save you time. Simply store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and give it a good shake before adding it to your salad. This also allows the flavors to meld for an even more delicious result.
What’s the best way to keep the avocado from browning?
To prevent avocado from browning, add it to the salad just before serving. If you need to prepare in advance, squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the diced avocado to help preserve its color. Learn how to cut avocado here.
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble most of the components in advance. However, to maintain optimal freshness and texture, it’s recommended to add the dressing, avocado, and seeds just before serving.
Can I use pre-packaged kale for this recipe?
If you’re looking to save time, opt for a bag of pre-shredded curly kale. The Trader Joe’s Organic Shredded Kale is our favorite.
1. Massage the Kale: Don’t skip massaging the kale. It enhances the flavor and tenderizes the leaves, making them more enjoyable to eat.
2. Customize Your Seeds: Feel free to play with the seed combination. Add nuts like almonds or walnuts for an extra layer of crunch and nutrition.
3. Adjust the Dressing: Taste the dressing before adding it to the salad and adjust the ingredients to suit your preference. Some might prefer a tangier flavor, while others may opt for a sweeter note.
4. Serve with Protein: This kale salad has lots of plant-based protein thanks to beans and seeds. If you’d like to boost it further, serve the salad with grilled tofu or your favorite protein source.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 8 oz. shredded curly kale (about 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped, or 6 cups)
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 avocado, diced
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, mustard, garlic, and salt pepper to taste until emulsified to create the dressing. Taste and adjust ingredients as needed.
- Wash and spin dry the kale, if needed. Place the chopped kale in a large salad bowl. Massage the dressing into the kale leaves (you may not need all of the dressing).
- Add the white beans, pumpkin seeds (pepitas), sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, and avocado.
- Gently toss all ingredients until well combined. Sprinkle the top of the salad with more hemp seeds, if desired.
I use raw seeds, but you can toast them if preferred.
I use Trader Joe's organic shredded curly kale to make this salad extra simple.
Do-ahead: The dressing can be made in advance and the kale can be prepped early. Don't dress or assemble this salad until just before serving, however.
To make a single serving of this kale salad, fill a bowl with your desired amount of chopped/shredded kale, coat with dressing, and add as much of the other ingredients as you'd like. Store the remaining dressing in the fridge for up to a week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 636mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.