Beautiful Beet, Citrus, and Avocado Salad
Beautiful winter salad of sweet roasted beets, fresh and juicy oranges, and creamy avocado.
I am completely smitten with the current citrus situation. While the sweet fruit of summer is long gone, markets here are overflowing with local mandarin oranges – the really great kind with the easy-to-peel skin and sweet juicy center. Then there are the blood oranges which the kids and I love for their pink color. And the Cara Caras! Perhaps my favorite of all, these are more of a grapefruit color on the inside but wonderfully sweet.
This winter citrus goes so well in salads. Especially this salad. Earthy roasted beets, creamy avocado, and a bit of salty crunch from pistachios. Perfection. I also love adding goat cheese to this one and calling it a meal. The flavors are so mouthwatering in this salad that I dress it simply, with just a drizzle of good olive oil and a pinch of Himalayan sea salt, or truffle salt, pictured above. Add any citrus you like or have at home. I would add some thinly sliced kumquats next time. Grapefruit, shaved fennel, and kalamata olives are also fantastic in this salad.
This salad may seem time consuming if you’re dreading roasting and peeling the beets. But honestly, that’s the easiest part! I love picking up bunches of colorful beets with their leafy tops and roasting them in the oven, the easy way, to use all week long.
- 2 roasted, peeled, and sliced golden beets
- 2 roasted, peeled, and sliced red beets
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/4
- 2 Cara Cara oranges
- 2 blood oranges
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt (I like Himalayan pink salt)
- fresh basil leaves
- goat cheese crumbles (optional)
- Peel oranges with a paring knife to remove any pith. Slice oranges crosswise into 1/4" rounds.
- On a serving plate, arrange beet, orange, and avocado slices. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Tuck a few basil leaves into the salad. Add goat cheese crumblies, if using. Enjoy!
If you'd like to make this salad oil-free, omit the olive oil and simply squeeze some orange over the top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 9gSugar: 15gProtein: 6g