Curried Yellow Squash Lentil Soup
Curried Yellow Squash and Lentil Soup
printer friendly recipe
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch chunk peeled ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 medium yellow squash, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red split lentils, rinsed and picked over
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- sour cream for garnish
- pepitas (pumpin seeds) for garnish, optional
1. In a large pot over medium heat, saute onion and carrots in olive oil until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder, and saute another minute.
2. Add the squash, broth, and lentils and bring to a simmer. Partially cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with sour cream, cilantro, and pepitas.
Vegan option: substitute coconut cream for sour cream