Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl
This easy recipe makes one tasty chocolate peanut butter smoothie or smoothie bowl. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and free of refined sugars.
The first week back to school was a hot one. Fall feels far away and after school time has been spent at the pool. Because turning on the oven sounds completely miserable when the house is already 90 degrees, I’ve been relying on smoothies and smoothie bowls. Which is actually a delicious and nourishing consequence of this heat wave. Yesterday when I got back from hot yoga (yes, I must be crazy to go work out in a 95 degree room) I made this decadent tasting smoothie bowl.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced prior to freezing
- 1 date, pitted (this is your sweetener, if you don't have dates add some honey or favorite sweetener)
- 2 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- In a blender, blend the milk, banana, date, peanut butter, half the ice cubes, and protein powder if using until smooth. Add more ice to thicken and more milk to thin. Blend the cacao with the other ingredients to make the entire smoothie chocolate-peanut butter, or pour half of the peanut butter smoothie into a bowl and then blend in the cacao to make a swirl smoothie.
- Enjoy! If you are making a smoothie bowl, add your favorite toppings such as fruit, oats, and seeds.
- If your like your smoothies extra frozen, place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 208mg Carbohydrates: 50g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 21g Protein: 36g