Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins
The most delicious kid-approved banana muffins studded with bright juicy blueberries – the best combination!
The girls and I spent New Year’s Day in the charming town of Los Olivos, CA. Our close friends rented a house in the country for a few days to get away for the holiday. It was the perfect relaxing day outdoors. Before we left on our adventure, we made a batch of super easy, healthier, muffins.
All 12 muffins were gobbled up right when we arrived. The kids absolutely loved these. My friend Victoria brought out a darling teapot and the kids drank pretend tea with their muffins until the muffin basket only contained crumbs. Aren’t these pint sized party goers too cute for words?
Normally I would use frozen blueberries this time of year, but we found some great organic berries this week. Nuts would be a delicious addition to these muffins – just stir in 1/2 cup of your favorite (walnuts, pecans, macadamias would all be fantastic) before the berries. These will work fine with gluten free flour if desired.
If you’re ever in Central or Southern California, I highly recommend a weekend in Los Olivos. Santa Ynez Vacation Rentals has some gorgeous wine country rental homes. Until then… have some muffins with your next tea party.
- 1/3 cup soft coconut oil (slightly melted)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed (I recommend using raw sugar or coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (or GF flour)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or GF flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, sugar, agave or coconut nectar, mashed bananas, and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin and sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar. Bake for 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.