Tuesday, July 12, 2016 / ... comments / dinner , Gluten Free , Italian , recipes for kids , Summer , Vegan , Vegetables , Vegetarian , zoodles , zucchini
Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles) with White Beans and Tomatoes
Zoodles, or zucchini noodles agilo e olio with white beans and tomatoes make an easy weeknight meal. Even picky eaters love this zucchini spaghetti!
If there's one thing I know for certain, it's that kids love noodles. Buttered or olive oil pasta is a regular on kids' menus. In Italy it's called Pasta Bianco. Spaghetti aglio e olio (with garlic and olive oil) is such comfort food and how I usually make our pasta bianco at home. For the past few years zoodles, also know as zucchini noodles, have been gaining popularity. My girls and I have so much fun zoodling with our spiralizer. And I've found that zoodles are the easiest way to get my kids to eat zucchini without any complaints. As I've learned from a few zoodle fails, there are a few tricks to making delicious zucchini noodles. This week we made a zoodle spaghetti with that flavorful aglio e olio flavor, and added some white beans and tomatoes for added protein, texture, and heartiness.
I adore my summer garden right now. The sunflowers are blooming and the zucchini plants are doing what they do best: growing crazy fast. Zoodles to the rescue!
Need a spiralizer?
Here's the one I use. (Amazon Affiliate link)
Zucchini Noodle Spaghetti with White Beans and Tomatoes
Yummy Mummy Kitchen
Easy zucchini noodle spaghetti with white beans and tomatoes. Even picky eaters love this version of zoodles!
- 4 oz. favorite dried spaghetti
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes, or chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or Italian parsley
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and add to a large serving bowl with the zucchini noodles. The heat from the cooked pasta will begin to cook the zoodles.
- In the same pot over low heat, saute sliced garlic with the pepper flakes in olive oil. Cook 5 minutes or until garlic is tender and golden brown, taking care not to burn the garlic or it will become bitter.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and both kinds of noodles back into the pot and toss to coat with garlic olive oil. Heat until zucchini noodles have softened and beans are heated. Stir in basil or parsley. Season with sea salt if needed. Serve with Parmesan, if desired.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: dinner, summer recipes, vegetarian, vegan, zoodles, zucchini noodles
*Vegan Option: Omit the Parmesan
*Gluten Free Option: Use GF spaghetti