Friday, June 3, 2016 / ... comments / bbq , Fourth of July , fruit , Memorial Day , picnic food , Salad , Summer
Watermelon Salad with Arugula, Feta, and Blueberries
A few years ago when I made those cute Watermelon Feta Bites I discovered that watermelon is insanely tasty paired with something salty. Juicy and sweet, watermelon makes salads extra refreshing and tasty. And that pop of watermelon pink is the icing on the cake. The past few summers I have been bringing this watermelon salad to every party I've been to. This watermelon salad is always a crowd pleaser and has that wow factor in both the flavor and aesthetics departments. Arugula creates a nice peppery base, blueberries add another punch of color and summer sweetness, and creamy feta adds a nice salty bite. I know I have a lot of vegan readers, and you can still make this! Just swap out the feta for some salty walnuts. I adore fresh mint with watermelon, but fresh basil is nice too if that's what you happen to have. I like to add little crunch with pumpkin seeds.
And everything. Everything. Is more fun served out of a watermelon bowl, dontcha think?
This watermelon was a little small, but it's what I had at home this week. If you use a small watermelon like this, you may want to use both halves and serve your salad in two watermelon bowls. Fun! If you use a large watermelon, one half should be sufficient. Use a knife to score around the rind and make rectangles. They should scoop out easily and then you can slice the watermelon rectangles to make cubes, or leave as is.
Homemade vinaigrette is so easy to whisk or shake together in a jar. Fill your watermelon bowl up with arugula. If you're going to eat the salad right away, you can dress the arugula now. If you're bringing it to a party, hold off on dressing the salad until just before serving.
Watermelon Salad with Arugula, Feta, and BlueberriesYummy Mummy Kitchen
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE
A flavorful and refreshing watermelon salad perfect for summer.
- 1 large seedless watermelon
- 5 oz. arugula
- 6 oz. blueberries
- 1/2 cup cubed feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut watermelon in half lengthwise. To create a watermelon bowl and watermelon cubes, cut around the perimeter to separate the flesh from the rind. Make 1/2-3/4 inch cuts across the watermelon, then 1/2-3/4 inch cuts the other direction. Use a large serving spoon to scoop out the watermelon. The chunks should come out as rectangles. Cut the watermelon pieces into cubes. Scoop out any remaining juice or watermelon flesh from the watermelon bowl.
- Place arugula into the empty watermelon bowl. Top with blueberries, feta, pumpkin seeds, and mint.
- To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl or jar, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper.
- Dress the salad just before serving.
Prep Time: 7 mins.
Tags: salad, summer, watermelon, BBQ, picnic, fourth of July