Saturday, August 29, 2015 / ... comments / Breakfast , Gluten Free , Muffins , Vegan
Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins with Chia and Chocolate (vegan & gf options)
These nutritious oatmeal muffins with peanut butter, chia, and chocolate are easy to make vegan and/or gluten free.
I love adding superfoods like chia to baked treats. They add a nice little crunch and extra nutrition.
I fill my muffins 3/4 of the way to the top so that they are nice and tall when the come out of the oven. Oh! I have to tell you about my all-time favorite muffin liners... So many friends ask why my muffins never ever stick to liners. I use these zero-stick parchment cups.
Warm and fluffy! The best way to enjoy these muffins. We like to add a dollop of extra peanut butter or butter on these. If you prefer the pb&j flavor to peanut butter and chocolate, feel free to omit the chocolate and instead add a teaspoon of jam on top of the batter. These hearty muffins are not overly sweet and make and tasty breakfast or after school snack. Enjoy, friends!
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins with Chia Seeds
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose or gf flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy), room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs (or 2 flax eggs if vegan)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips or chunks*
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the honey/syrup, peanut butter, milk, eggs, and coconut oil until smooth. You may really have to beat it to incorporate the peanut butter. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until smooth. Fold in chia seeds and chocolate.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*Lily's Sweets makes excellent stevia-sweetened chocolate chips. Enjoy Life is a brand of tasty vegan and gluten free chocolate chips. See, chocolate can work with any diet!
Gluten Free Option: Be sure to use gf oats and flour. I like King Arthur Gluten Free Flour.
Vegan Option: Use 2 flax eggs and maple syrup instead of honey.