Chocolate Peanut Butter Quinoa Crispies
A healthy recipe for chocolate peanut butter crispy treats made with puffed quinoa or millet. Vegan and gluten free.
I’ve made these chocolaty little morsels three times in the past couple of weeks. My whole family loves them and I personally can never eat just one. Ordinarily inhaling chocolate treats is a problem, but with these babies? I don’t feel guilty (or nauseous). In fact, they are great little energy bites, loaded with protein from nut butter, cacao, and quinoa. I made a batch for my first grader’s class only I used sunflower seed butter, as there are children with nut allergies in her class. There wasn’t a single one left and when I arrived for afternoon pickup the kids asked if I had any more of those yummy chocolate krispies.
These crispy treats are easy to make and don’t involve any baking. Just whisk together peanut butter, coconut oil, cacao, and honey or maple syrup in a small saucepan for a couple of minutes to melt together. I have made these with stevia instead of honey or syrup for a no sugar added treat and they are just as delicious, though they don’t hold together quite as well. Coconut syrup is another great natural vegan sweetener. Then stir the chocolaty mixture into puffed quinoa or puffed millet.
Spoon the mixture into mini or regular sized muffin cups and refrigerate or freeze until hardened.
I like to serve these with raspberries on top for a pop of fresh color and flavor.
- 3 Tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, almond butter, or sunflower seed butter
- 1/4 cup honey, maple, or coconut syrup
- 2 cups puffed quinoa or puffed millet (found in cereal aisle of some stores. I get mine at Nuts.com)
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, whisk together the cacao, coconut oil, peanut butter, and honey.
- Place puffed quinoa or millet into a large bowl. Pour chocolate mixture over and stir to combine.
- Spoon into muffin cups and freeze until hardened, about 10 minutes. I keep these in the freezer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 104mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 15g Protein: 6g