A hearty and nourishing salad of lentils, quinoa, butternut squash, and pomegranate
One of my favorite lunches these days is a sweet and savory salad of quinoa, roasted butternut squash, and arugula. It sounds labor intensive, but it really takes about 2 minutes to throw together because I keep everything prepped in the fridge. I make a batch of quinoa and lentils on the weekend to easily add complete protein to my daily diet. Lentils and quinoa are a couple of my favorite vegan protein sources. I made this particular salad at the last minute to bring to my mom’s house on Thanksgiving. Pomegranate seeds added a refreshing juicy sweetness to this hearty salad.
Try this superfood salad this fall-winter to stay healthy and strong, or serve it for a beautiful holiday party salad. It’s tasty, filling, healthy, and gorgeous – the perfect salad if you ask me.
Quinoa and Lentil Salad with Butternut Squash
Yield: serves 6
- 1/2 cup French lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 5 ounces arugula leaves
- 1/2 pomegranate seeded
- 1/3 cup favorite dressing (I recommend this Maple Vinaigrette)
- Cook lentils and quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, roast the butternut squash. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss cubed butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a roasting pan and season lightly with salt and pepper. Roast 25-30 minutes until tender.
- Place arugula in a large salad bowl. Spoon cooked quinoa, lentils, and squash over the top. Add the seeds from 1/2 pomegranate. Serve with dressing.