Raspberry Buttermilk Cupcakes
I love this recipe. It is so simple to make and it tastes fresh and light with a little bit of crispyness on the top. I found the recipe for Raspberry Buttermilk Cake on Alexis Stewart’s blog. Alexis is Martha Stewart’s daughter. Ronda turned me on to her blog and it’s hilarious. She’s like a more modern, crazy, funny, Martha. The recipe is originally from Gourmet Magazine. I decided to make cupcakes instead of the cake. It only made around 7-8 cupcakes, so I would probably double the recipe next time. Or just make the cake. I filled the cupcake pan with too much batter, forgetting that the raspberries would displace some of it. I would have liked more of the cake/berries to have remained in the liners.
- Active time:15 min
- Start to finish:1 hr
- all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (about 5 oz)
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan. Or line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.
- At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.
- Spoon batter into cake pan, or 2/3 the way up cupcake liners, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar.
- Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes for the cake, around 20 minutes for cupcakes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate.
Recipe originally by Melissa Roberts, Gourmet