Oatmeal Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies Two Ways
The first week back to school was a great success! We are so happy with our girls’ teachers, and unlike the last few first-days-of-school, there weren’t any tears shed. We are all finding our groove getting back into school day routines. I wanted to make a wholesome treat for the girls’ lunch boxes, as well as after school snacks, and a breakfast our whole family would love. These oatmeal peanut butter breakfast cookies checked all of those boxes!
I never thought I would be eating cookies on the way to the gym, but that’s exactly what I’ve been doing. These breakfast cookies are lightly and naturally sweetened and filled with nourishing ingredients like oats, almond flour, flax meal, and Santa Cruz Organic Dark Roasted Peanut Butter and Apple sauce. The apple sauce acts as a binder in this recipe as well as adding moisture and natural sweetness. Our family has really been enjoying the Santa Cruz Organic products. I appreciate that they are made with organic, pure ingredients. The peanut butter is made with peanuts and small amount of salt, with no added oils, sugar, or fillers. The apple sauce is just organic apples, and no added sugar. Just the way it should be. These cookies are naturally vegan and easy to make gluten-free with certified gluten free oats.
There are a few ways to make our breakfast cookies even more fun. I made half of our cookies the classic PB&J and the other half peanut butter oatmeal with a teeny tiny chocolate drizzle. It’s easy to make half-and-half with just one batch of cookies. You could also play around with this basic recipe and add dried fruit, seeds, or nuts.
Both were delicious… but I’ll admit I’m partial to the chocolate drizzle.
I hope your family loves these wholesome breakfast cookies. They’re really perfect any time of day! These simple breakfast cookies are done in under 30 minutes and are a delicious way to give your family a little extra love in a nourishing little package.
Don’t miss the short video!
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oats (certified gluten free if needed)
- ¼ cup oat flour*
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine kosher or sea salt
- ½ cup Santa Cruz Organic creamy dark roasted peanut butter
- ½ cup Santa Cruz Organic apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 2 tablespoons Santa Cruz Organic fruit spread (Blackberry Pomegranate, Concord Grape, Seedless Red Raspberry, or Strawberry)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free, gluten free if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, oat flour, almond flour, baking soda and salt. In another smaller bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, apple sauce, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and flax meal until smooth. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Drop tablespoon sized balls of dough onto the cookie sheet and flatten into a cookie shape. If making the peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies, use a greased teaspoon to make an indentation. Fill the indentations with fruit spread. Bake cookies 12-15 minutes, until golden
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g