Restaurant Style Salsa
Learn how to make restaurant-style salsa at home! This easy 5-minute chunky salsa recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients like canned tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, lime, garlic, and onions.
Every summer we love to make homemade salsa with garden fresh tomatoes. Fresh tomato recipes like salsa and marinara sauce get so much love during tomato season.
During the off seasons, however, you can still make tasty restaurant-style salsa with canned tomatoes. In fact, canned tomatoes are great for San Marzano marinara and authentic pizza sauce too. They aren’t just for Italian recipes though, fire-roasted canned tomatoes are perfect for Mexican and Southwestern recipes chili, and this chunky salsa recipe.
Everyone says this salsa recipe tastes like it’s from a restaurant. I agree, but I have yet to actually find restaurant-style salsa that actually makes salsa this fresh and tasty. The robust bright red salsa with the beautiful green from the jalapenos is beyond pretty!
The flavor of the tomatoes, lime juice, and cilantro are paired so nicely together. This will be such a hit at your next together, as everyone loves homemade chunky salsa.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS EASY SALSA RECIPE
- white onion
- fresh jalapenos
- fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- fresh lime juice
- sea salt
- fresh cilantro
- food processor, blender, or manual chopper
- cutting board
- can opener
- lime juicer
- serving bowl
HOW TO MAKE CHUNKY RESTAURANT-STYLE SALSA
This easy 5-minute salsa recipe comes together in a food processor. You can use a blender or chop by hand if you don’t have a food processor.
First, let the food processor do the chopping by pulsing the onion, garlic, and jalapenos.
Next, Add the remaining ingredients and pulse again until chunky. That’s it! Your salsa is now ready to enjoy.
- Is this spicy salsa? Yes, the jalapenos add spice and flavor to this recipe. You can dial the spiciness up or down by adding the insides of the jalapenos for more spice. For extra spicy salsa, you can add serrano chiles or habaneros.
- Do I have to use cilantro? If you don’t like cilantro you can use fresh Italian parsley for your salsa recipe.
- Can I use jarred jalapenos? Yes, if you prefer jarred jalapenos use about 3 tablespoons.
- What is the best tomato brand to use? Hunts (which is what I used, as this brand seems to have the most robust red color out of the other brands) or Rotel. Fire-roasted tomatoes add a smoky flavor to Mexican recipes like this, but you can use regular canned tomatoes in a pinch.
- Can I double this recipe? Yes, you can double up this recipe and even triple up to make this a very easy salsa recipe that will save you time.
- Can the salsa be frozen? The salsa recipe can be frozen in an air-tight freezer-safe container for up to 4 months.
- Does this salsa recipe work for canning? No, this recipe is not formulated for canning. Please use our Salsa Recipe for Canning for a shelf-stable recipe.
Restaurant Style Salsa
This easy 5-minute homemade salsa recipe is made with simple ingredients like canned tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic, and lime. It's a chunky red restaurant-style salsa that is perfect for taco night.
- ½ medium white onion, peeled
- 1 fresh jalapeno (seeds removed)
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 14.5 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
- ½ fresh lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (more to taste)
- Place the onion, jalapeno, and garlic into the food processor. Pulse 5 times or until you have the consistency you like.
- Add in the tomatoes, lime juice, salt (½ teaspoon), and cilantro.
- Pulse 5 times or until you have the consistency you like. I serve this as chunky salsa, but you can blend until more finely chopped if preferred.
- Pour the salsa into your serving bowl. Can be served immediately or stored in the refrigerator. The flavors come together and taste the best the following day.
- The salsa can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days in an airtight container such as a mason jar.
This chunky salsa is perfect for tacos, burritos, chips, or even over eggs in the morning.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 19Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 258mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.
It’s great to see such detailed information. The article shared in great detail what I was looking for.
PePfect combination for great night