Mediterranean Grilled Tofu
This marinated and grilled tofu recipe is so tasty and a perfect high-protein vegan grilling option. It’s perfect for a vegan or vegetarian BBQ.
Every summer I get so many requests for vegetarian or vegan grilling recipes. This Mediterranean marinated grilled tofu is one of my favorites, as it’s a high-protein plant-based option that can be added to the BBQ along with anything else.
While I often think of Asian recipes when using tofu, it really is so versatile and can take on any flavor. Tofu Scramble and Crispy Tofu Nuggets are other perfect examples of this! Let me show you how to make this delicious grilled tofu recipe to use all summer long.
Grilled Tofu Marinade
This Mediterranean-inspired tofu marinade is great because it goes well with so many other foods, from salad to grilled veggies.
Mustard helps emulsify the marinade and adds even more flavor. Though I first tried this with a splash of maple syrup, I actually prefer it without, as balsamic has its own sweetness.
How to Grill Tofu
Tofu can be grilled just like anything else. Once it’s soaked up all those great marinade flavors, cook it over medium-high for about 5 minutes per side, until it’s lost some of its moisture and nice charred grill marks appear.
My best tip is to use high protein extra firm tofu. You can find this at Trader Joe’s or from Wildwood. It’s so firm that it doesn’t require pressing and is very meaty and holds up well on the grill.
This tofu is marinated in an olive oil-based marinade, so it doesn’t stick to grates. If you cut down on oil or omit it, you’ll need to add some oil to the grill.
- Top a big salad with grilled tofu for a low-carb, high protein meal.
- Use as the protein for a Buddha Bowl.
- Stuff inside a sandwich or pita!
- Grill up some seasonal veggies at the same time and serve with rice.
- Add a dollop of romesco sauce for even more flavor.
- This is a great recipe for Healthy Meal Prep. Grill the tofu on Sunday and enjoy it all week for lunch.
- Create the ultimate plant-based BBQ with Vegan Coleslaw, Baked Beans, and Instant Pot Corn.
- 1 block (16 oz.) high protein extra firm tofu
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- plenty of salt and pepper to taste
- With a clean towel pat the tofu dry to remove as much water as possible.
- Cut the Tofu into ½ inch thick slices.
- In a large shallow dish, mix the rest of the ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper to taste) to make the marinade.
- Add the tofu to the marinade, turning to coat the tofu well. Let marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium-high. Place the tofu on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until dark grill marks appear.
- Serve with rice and vegetables if desired.
- I use the high protein extra firm tofu from Trader Joe's or from the brand Wildwood. It has a meatier texture and does not need to be pressed before use.
- Will keep up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container, making it great for meal prep. If you have any leftover, you cut the tofu in small cubes and use it in a salad, it’s delicious.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.