Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
When you’re in the mood for a high protein vegan breakfast, a big vegan breakfast sandwich filled with breakfast sausage, tofu “egg”, avocado, and greens is so satisfying.
There’s a vegan pop-up here in Santa Barbara called Rascal’s that sells amazing vegan Mexican food and more at a couple of our local restaurants and coffee shops. Ever since they posted their Vegan Egg McMuffins, I have been craving one. Since I haven’t been able to make it downtown to get one, I decided to make some vegan breakfast sandwiches myself and share them with you.
These easy vegan breakfast sandwiches are super filling and high protein. As I don’t eat breakfast before my morning workouts, I’ve been loving one of these breakfast sandwiches late morning. They are filling, satisfying, flavorful, hearty, and done in under 10 minutes. You can see the ultimate list of vegan breakfast ideas here.
Why this Recipe Works
When I first went vegetarian I didn’t use any alternative “meats” and simply ate legumes, whole grains, veggies, nuts/seeds, fruit, etc. And while that’s still how I eat most of the time, there are more and more amazing plant-based meat and dairy alternatives popping up on the market, and I really enjoy them from time to time.
Plant-based cheese, egg, and sausage come together to make a delicious vegan breakfast sandwich. Many brands of English muffins are naturally vegan, such as Trader Joe’s. Let’s break it down further.
Vegan Breakfast Sausage
I love the patties from Field Roast (found at Target in the refrigerated section) and Trader Joe’s (found in the freezer).
If you’re vegetarian you could of course use a fried or poached egg here (read about vegetarian vs vegan here). However, tofu makes a great egg alternative, scrambled or sliced, and is something I always have in the fridge. I recommend using High Protein Super Firm tofu from Trader Joe’s or Wildwood, as it doesn’t need to be pressed. A pinch of turmeric gives tofu an eggy color. You could also season the tofu with some nutritional yeast, though when paired with flavorful breakfast sausage, the “egg” doesn’t need much seasoning.
Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches without Tofu
Tofu isn’t necessary to make a delicious vegan breakfast sandwich. Just Egg is another great option and perfect for scrambling for breakfast sandwiches. Just Egg is made with mung beans and turmeric and has no cholesterol, but a similar amount of protein to eggs.
Vegan cheddar can now be found in both shreds and slices, and either works here. I love Miyoko’s and Parmela’s, which are traditionally cultured and aged.
How to Make Breakfast Sandwiches
Cook the sausage patties according to the package directions. I used Field Roast patties here, which were refrigerated and cook in about the same amount of time as the tofu.
While the vegan breakfast sausage and tofu cook, toast the English muffin with cheese on one half.
The muffins and egg/sausage should be done in about the same amount of time. Next, assemble the sandwiches! Avocado and greens are optional but tasty.
Enjoy your sandwich right away!
More Easy, High Protein, Vegan Breakfast Ideas
- Bagel Breakfast Sandwich with our amazing Vegan Cream Cheese.
- Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- Farmer’s Market Tofu Scramble
- One of our 6 Protein Shakes
- High Protein Oatmeal
- Simple Chia Pudding
- 1 English Muffin (vegan)
- 2 tablespoons shredded plant-based cheddar (or 1 slice)
- 1 vegan breakfast sausage patty
- 1 (1/2" thick) slice super firm, high protein tofu
- pinch ground turmeric
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 ripe avocado (optional)
- 1/4 cup favorite greens (I like shredded kale)
- Top one-half of the English muffin (cut side) with cheese. Toast until the muffins are toasty and the cheese is melty, in a toaster oven or broiler.
- Meanwhile, coat a skillet with cooking spray or a little olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage patty according to package directions.
- At the same time cooking the tofu slice in the same pan for about 2 minutes per side, until golden. Sprinkle with turmeric, salt, and pepper, and cook an additional minute per side.
- Assemble the sandwich by topping the English muffin half without cheese with avocado and another little pinch of salt and pepper. Then add the cooked sausage, tofu, greens, and finally the cheesy English muffin half.
- Enjoy right away.
- Cheese: Miyoko's or Parmela's
- Vegan Breakfast Sausage: Trader Joe's (frozen), or Field Roast (refrigerated)
- English Muffins: Food for Life, Rudi's Organic, Trader Joe's
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470Trans Fat: 0gFiber: 9gProtein: 37g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.