Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
The air fryer is the best way to cook frozen french fries. They come out perfectly crispy every time and there’s no need to add any oil. Let me show you how to make air fryer french fries and some seasoning ideas.
We’ve been using our air fryer almost daily for several years now, but the one thing we use the for most is… frozen french fries! I guess that’s life with hungry teenagers.
I can’t imagine cooking fries any other way, as they come out perfectly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside every time. I’m planning to share more air fryer recipes here soon but wanted to start with the easiest air fryer “recipe” I know. Try crispy Artichoke Hearts or Air Fryer Broccoli next!
Frozen French Fries
Nearly every grocery store in my area sells frozen french fries. I keep a bag from Trader Joe’s or Alexia in the freezer for my teenage daughter at all times. Air fryer frozen french fries are by far her favorite snack during homeschool.
This air fryer frozen french fries “recipe” works for any variety of frozen fries, such as sweet potato fries and waffle fries. Keep in mind that the time cook time may be longer when using a thicker type of fries.
Frozen french fries have already been par-cooked in some oil, so you don’t need to add any. The air fryer is the best method of cooking frozen french fries because it cooks by circulating hot air all around the fries, evenly crisping them up on all sides. I don’t recommend using Foil in the Air Fryer.
Best Air Fryers
There are many, many air fryers on the market today. I didn’t want yet another appliance to store (hello, I already have 2 Instant Pots, a Vitamix, and an espresso machine taking up real estate) so I waited until it was time to replace our toaster oven and got an all-in-one appliance.
While the Breville Smart Oven was much pricier than other air fryers, it was worth the splurge, as we use it multiple times a day for everything from toast to roasting veggies, and obviously air frying french fries.
How to Cook Frozen French Fries in the Air Fryer
- Don’t defrost your fries before cooking.
- Spread out the fries and shake halfway through. You may only be able to cook a quarter or half bag at a time, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- You don’t need to add any oil, though some people like to give them a quick spritz of cooking spray. Most frozen french fries already have oil added. If you do that be careful not to add too much or your fries may end up too soft
- Air fryers and french fries will vary, so check a few minutes early to ensure they aren’t burning. You may need to add a few minutes for thicker fries. Anywhere between 400-420 degrees F and 15-20 minutes will do the trick. We found that once we hit 425 degrees some fries started to burn, but 400-415 was perfect.
- Add any salt right as they come out of the air fryer so that it adheres before fries dry completely.
Seasoning, Dipping & Serving Ideas
- Some frozen french fry varieties are seasoned while others are quite plain. My favorite upgrade is to sprinkle with truffle salt while the fries are still warm from the air fryer
- Dip in guacamole
- Serve with cashew queso
- Perfect alongside Hearty Vegan Chili, Black Bean Burgers or Crispy Baked Tofu Nuggets and a green salad for dinner
- 1/2 bag frozen French fries (I used Alexia)
- Preheat the air fryer to 415° F. If food tends to stick to your basket you can give it a little spray with cooking spray. I skip this step for fries as mine does not stick often.
- Place the fries in the air fryer basket, spreading out as much as possible so that air is able to circulate around the fries and crisp them up.
- Cook for 15-17 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. Thicker fries may need more time.
- Carefully remove the fries from the air fryer. Sprinkle with salt right away if using any, so that it adheres while the fries are still a little moist. I recommend a little truffle salt if your fries are plain. Keep in mind that some frozen french fries are already seasoned.
No oil is needed for perfectly crispy fries as frozen french fries already contain oil. However, if you like your fries on the oily side, feel free to give a little spray before cooking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4.5 Serving Size: 3 oz. (about 15 pieces)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 3.5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g