Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
Oven roasted whole carrots are an easy vegetable side dish for the holidays or any day. Maple glazed carrots require just a few ingredients and are beautiful with orange or rainbow carrots.
Whole glazed carrots roasted in the oven have to be one of the easiest vegetable side dishes ever. Just throw ’em in the baking dish, drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and maple syrup, and toss with a little salt, pepper, and herbs. In that way, they’re similar to our Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts – another favorite roasted vegetable recipe!
Rainbow carrots make this simple recipe extra beautiful, but any carrots will do. Finish the dish with fresh parsley and toasted pumpkin seeds. If your carrots came with their tops attached, try a carrot top pesto! Maple glazed roasted carrots have that perfect slightly sweet and savory flavor.
I love using rainbow carrots for roasting because they are just so pretty and fun. The purple ones leave behind a natural watercolor in the baking dish. Here we’ve used the Trader Joe’s Les Petites Carrots of Many Colors, which are convenient as they come pre-peeled. The downside is that they do come in plastic.
How to Roast Carrots
Add the whole carrots, without stems, directly into a large baking dish or rimmed sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup (honey works too), season with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme.
How Long to Roast Carrots
How long it takes to roast carrots will vary slightly depending on the size of the carrots. Also, a metal sheet pan will cook more quickly and result in more browning than a ceramic dish. Peeled medium sized whole carrots will take approximately 20 minutes to roast at 400 degrees F.
What to Serve with Roasted Carrots
Roasted carrots are an easy weeknight side dish, with our Vegan Lentil Loaf, Lentil Sloppy Joe’s, or Farro Risotto. They would even be great simply on top of a bowl of warm lentils or quinoa. Or as a special Thanksgiving side along with our Portobello Wellington, roasted garlic mashed cauliflower or truffle mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and cranberry sauce or chutney.
- 16 oz. peeled whole carrots
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- leaves from 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the carrots into a baking dish or large rimmed sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Toss well to coat evenly.
- Roast in the oven until fork tender, about 20-30 minutes, depending on thickness of the carrots.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired, and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy warm.
- We used Trader Joe's Les Petites Carrots of Many Colors.
- Make-ahead: Toss the carrots with the other ingredients in the baking dish. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.