Vegan Broccoli Soup with Cashew Cream
This deliciously creamy broccoli soup is a snap to make in the blender. Fresh ingredients and silky cashew cream make this soup better than any cream of broccoli soup. No one can believe it’s dairy-free.
I’ve been wanting to make this creamy broccoli soup since last winter. I discovered a similar soup at Gelson’s market on a busy night on the way home from ballet. I was surprised to find the dreamy creaminess wasn’t due to cream at all. I took a peek at the ingredients and found cashews listed. Ah-ha! I am no stranger to creamy cashew recipes. I’ve been making vegan “cheesecake” out of raw cashews for years. Once they are soaked, raw cashews can be blended into the most delightful cream for all sorts of recipes. If I recall correctly, the soup I bought that day also had quinoa in it. Though I didn’t add it in this recipe, I may next time.
This broccoli soup is easy to make, filled with loads beautifully pure, fresh ingredients, and tastes incredibly comforting. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten as much broccoli as I have when making this soup. It has that addictive cheesy umami flavor that keeps you wanting more. To my surprise, my 9 year old loved this soup and has requested it again. My 7 year old wasn’t so sure. C’est la vie. The rest of us loved this one so much it’s going on our regular dinner rotation.
The ingredients for this vegan broccoli soup are simple. We get an aromatic base of onions, celery, and garlic going before adding the broccoli to simmer away in vegetable broth.
The veggies go for a whirl in the blender along with cashew cream and a little nutritional yeast. If you aren’t on the nutritional yeast bandwagon, you can leave it out. And if you’re a seasoned nooch-user, go ahead and add even more than I’ve written into the recipe. I hated it the first time I tried it, but now it’s love. I sprinkle it on avocado toast on the regular and it ads a cheesy flavor to soups like this one. It’s also a great source of vitamin B-12. If you’re interested and have a sense of humor, you simply must watch this hilarious little video, WTF is Nutritional Yeast, over on Facebook.
With the help of my BFF, the Vitamix, simple simmered broccoli becomes something oh so rich, creamy, and comforting.
A warm bowl of soup just makes me feel so happy and cozy inside. If you liked cream of broccoli soup, you’re going to love this one. Yummy Hubby, my big girl, and myself aren’t huge broccoli lovers, but with this soup? We can easily put away two heads of broccoli at dinnertime. I served this soup for dinner with grilled cheese sandwiches on the side. Side note: I just tried the So Delicious dairy-free cheese in those grilled cheeses and it was pretty darn delicious.
I’ll leave you with this one last image of cashew cream. I really hope you make this dreamy creamy broccoli soup. I know I’ll be making it again and again.
Don’t forget to watch the super quick video for an even better visual.
Vegan Broccoli Soup with Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or 3 hours in hot water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- First make the cashew cream. Drain the cashews and transfer to a blender. Add 1/2 cup water and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Blend until very smooth, which may take a few of minutes on high speed. Transfer cashew cream to a small bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until softened, about 7 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic, and sauté another minute longer. Add the broccoli, parsley, and 5 cups vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until the broccoli is very tender, about 8 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes so that it’s not steaming and very carefully transfer to a blender, working in batches. Don’t fill the blender more than half-way up. Add 4 tablespoons of cashew cream and the nutritional yeast. Remove the center of the blender cap and cover the hole with a dish towel. This helps some steam escape. Carefully blend the soup until it’s pureed. Serve straight from the blender or add back to the pot to keep warm.
- Serve this creamy broccoli soup with more cashew cream.