Simple and nutritious roasted Brussels sprouts tacos inspired by Dirt Candy in NYC.
Being Taco Tuesday and the week of St. Patrick’s Day, green veggie tacos seem very fitting. Roasted Brussels sprouts tacos are a fun update to your taco Tuesday. Brussels Sprouts are in season right now, and filling your tacos with them is a great way to use these little cruciferous sprouts. Although Brussels sprouts may not seem very kid friendly, they are one of our kids’ favorite veggies. If you don’t think you like Brussels sprouts, try them again roasted. The outer leaves get perfectly crunchy and the inside tender. The flavor is mild so you can season them any way you like.
I have always wanted to go to Dirt Candy in New York City
, but have never made it there. I love the concept of plants as candy from the Earth. I wholeheartedly agree. While drooling over their Yelp page last year, their Brussels Sprouts Tacos caught my eye. What a creative, fun, and healthy idea! I knew I had to make them at home. My version is not exactly the same, but Dirt Candy is certainly where the idea originated.
Taco nights are very popular in our house. It’s just so easy and tasty. I let everyone assemble their own tacos and everyone is happy. For our Brussels sprouts tacos, I simply roasted a big pan of sprouts in olive oil, salt, and pepper. I served them along with black beans, guacamole, sharp cheddar, lime, and watermelon radish. Add some jalapeno and salsa verde for more kick. The best part is that everyone gets to make their dinner the way they want.
At Dirt Candy, Brussels sprouts tacos are served in lettuce wraps, sans tortillas. You can make yours any way you like. Our kids prefer tortillas.
See those crispy charred Brussels sprouts leaves? They are so addicting.
Brussels Sprouts Tacos
Printer Friendly Recipe
Roasted Brussels sprouts star in these nutritious tacos. Add in any or all of the extra toppings.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 radishes, sliced (I used watermelon radishes)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 lime, cute into wedges
- salsa verde
- pickled onion
- butter leaf lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut a thin layer off bottoms of Brussels sprouts and remove any brown outer leaves. Cut Brussels sprouts in half or quarters if they are very large. Place in a large baking pan and coat with oil, salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 35 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat black beans with taco seasoning over medium low heat.
- Place roasted Brussels sprouts on a platter and serve with all the fixin’s. Tacos can be made in lettuce wraps or tortillas.
*Vegan Option: Omit the cheese or use vegan cheese
*Gluten Free Option: Use lettuce wraps instead of tortillas or use GF tortillas
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 40 mins.
Total time: 50 mins.
Tags: winter, Brussels sprouts, vegetarian