Healthy Recipes for Kids + I Ate a Rainbow Printable Chart
|Free printable chart to help kids eat a rainbow every day. Click here for the download.|
Food education is something that many other countries focus on more than we do here in the US. In Japan, it is now the law that children learn about healthy eating starting in kindergarten. (source) Children are not innately picky and wired to only eat chicken nuggets. But we must teach them how to eat from a young age.
- What is the purpose of food? (To fuel our body and mind.)
- How can you tell if a food is healthy or not? (Nutrition labels and choosing foods that come from nature, without packaging. We should be able to pronounce all the ingredients on a nutrition label to avoid chemicals and fillers.)
- How do fruits and vegetables make you feel inside? How do sweets make you feel? (Tired and grumpy, or focused and strong.)
- Why is it important to make healthy food choices? (To be strong and healthy.)
- What are some of your favorite delicious natural foods?
The girls were excited to create their own personalized trail mixes. I found these cute spring bags at Michael’s. The ingredients I brought were: almonds, cashews, peanuts, banana chips, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds. Please be sure none of the kids in your group have nut allergies if you are going to use this idea.
It’s hard to keep your fingers out of the guac! Making guacamole with the girls was a tasty way to show them how simple it is to make a delicious snack just using natural ingredients: avocado, tomato, garlic, and lime.
More helpful posts:
How to Get Kids to Eat Healthier
3 Healthy Snacks Kids Can Make
Photos of School Lunches Around the World
“Death to the Chicken Finger: How we created an entire generation of unsophisticated, picky eaters…”
My next read: //ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=ss_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=yummumkit-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=006210330X&asins=006210330X&linkId=HLS53VAC5AWDH5R6&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true