Vegetarian Gyros with Grilled Vegetables
Delicious vegetarian gyros made with flatbread, hummus (for vegan) or tzatziki sauce, and filled with grilled vegetables make a wonderful Greek-inspired lunch or light dinner.
Since becoming a vegetarian/pescatarian several years ago, I haven’t missed or craved meat at all. If I want a burger, there are a plethora of veggie burger options with just as much flavor and protein. There is one thing I have missed, however. Gyros. Every year at the local Greek festival I’m reminded of delicious Greek gyros. Maybe it’s my half-Greek heritage, but that soft flatbread with tangy cucumber yogurt sauce that runs down your hand is one of my favorite things ever. I realized recently that I don’t have to miss gyros though – I can create a vegetarian gyro that is just as tasty as the original. And I did! It’s so simple, that I’m not sure it’s right to even call this a recipe. These vegetarian or vegan gyros are so satisfying and totally cured my gyro craving. Next I’m going to have to try making a vegan tzatziki sauce.
This is a great 2-night recipe. Grill lots of summer veggies the first night and use the leftovers for a quick gyro dinner the next. You could use a variety of vegetables. In the summer I usually opt for zucchini, which takes over my garden, eggplant, and bell peppers.
Thank you, Trader Joe’s. You have made this dinner incredibly quick. I used the Middle Eastern Flatbread and tzatziki from Trader Joe’s. Just spread that tzatziki sauce (or hummus for a vegan option) on the flatbread and layer your grilled veggies on one half. I added a little more thinly sliced cucumber for crunch, some sliced tomato, avocado, and yellow or red onion to the mix too. To bump up the protein I added a sprinkling of chickpeas. Avocado is definitely not traditional, but that’s my California avocado-lover addition.
Fold your veggie gyro in half and devour this wonderfully satisfying Greek sandwich. It’s lighter and healthier than traditional gyros, but has the same mouth-feel of the flatbread, creamy sauce, and hearty fillings.
Grilled Vegetable Gyros
- 1 package Middle Eastern flatbread (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 cup tzitziki sauce or hummus for vegan
- 1 Japanese eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick and grilled until tender
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick and grilled until tender
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- 1 Persian or hothouse cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas (optional)
- Grilled eggplant and zucchini are best warm or at room temperature for this recipe.To grill vegetables, brush with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill on a BBQ or grill pan until tender, about 5 minutes per side. The zucchini will cook faster than the eggplant, so don’t overcook it! No one likes mushy zucchini.
- Spread tzatziki or hummus over flatbreads. Layer one side with eggplant, zucchini, onion, tomato, cucumber, avocado, and garbanzo beans. Fold in half and enjoy! So easy, so tasty!