Roasted Beet & Heirloom Tomato Salad
Yield: serves 6-8
- 3 large washed and trimmed beets
- 6 heirloom tomatoes in a variety of colors
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallot, peeled chopped
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch freshly cracked pepper
- 1 bunch micro greens (optional)
- To roast the beets, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle beets with a splash of olive oil and wrap in foil. Be sure foil is completely sealed. Place beets on oven rack and roast until tender, about 40 minutes to 1 hour or more depending on size. Let cool and then slip the skins off and slice beets.
- Cut tomatoes into wedges and arrange with beet slices on a platter alone or over greens. Add cherry tomatoes to the platter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, mustard, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over the salad and garnish with additional basil leaves or micro greens.
*make ahead: This salad can be made an hour or so early and refrigerated. Keep in mind that micro greens will wilt and should be added just before serving.