Vegetarian Baked Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Vegetarian Baked Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
printer friendly recipe
- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 (26 ounce) box chopped tomatoes, such as Pomi *(see note)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese packed in water, drained and cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Carefully cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise (this can be the hardest part). Brush or drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion in a large sauce pan over medium-hight heat with another tablespoon olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, oregano, and red pepper and continue to saute until the vegetables have softened. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use a fork to scratch “spaghetti noodles” out of the squash skin. Transfer “noodles” to a large casserole dish. Pour sauce over the top and stir in the mozzarella. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until bubbly.