Apple Maple Scones
Apple maple oat scones topped with maple glaze are a delightful breakfast, brunch, or English teatime treat. They’re an easy to make vegetarian recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose or gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance, coconut oil, or butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I recommend sugar-free and used one by Nature's Hollow which is sweetened with Xylitol) plus 2 tablespoons for glaze
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
In the bowl of a food processor or blender, pulse flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and butter until oats are coarsely to finely ground.
- Pour apple cider vinegar into a small bowl with the milk. With a rubber spatula, stir in egg, apple sauce, milk/apple cider vinegar mixture, 1/4 cup maple syrup, and apple. Drop rounded 1/3 cup balls of dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes until tops are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons syrup and confectioners sugar until smooth. Pour maple glaze over cooled scones.
*Gluten Free Option:
Be sure to buy gluten free oats as they are often contaminated by wheat. Be sure to use gluten free all-purpose flour. I like Trader Joe's brand.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your favorite calculator.